Growlers and Bottled Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
So I did some research and it seems to me that, to be on the safe side, its not worth bottling in a growler. (By growler, I mean those 2 liter jugs with the twist on caps, not with the grolsh type lid).

I know that people use growlers to transport beer tapped from kegs and, when used with the right twist on cap, can be use to store kegged beer for a few days.

Does the same work with bottled beer? Can I open up a few bottles, carefully pour it into the growler so I don't lose the carbonation, cap it and store it for a few days as well?

It'll be flat in a night. I've never had luck with growlers ever, its a drink that day affair unless you find a place with counter pressure fillers

Don't use them with priming sugar to bottle, their not designed to hold that much pressure. They can explode. Cheers!!!

I have been bottling in growlers for over a year now. Haven't had an issue. I know there are risks with it but make sure you use a good growler with no air bubbles in the glass or other defects. I fill mine with mostly stouts, porters, and ciders. I think it's easier inventory too not just random bottles all over.

I don't see why you wouldn't you be able to. If anything they should be more tolerable to the pressure. Maybe the rubber gasket would give a little if too much pressure built up. I just opened a growler that I put cider in to ferment last December. Damn good and perfect carb.

Back