Spent Grain? Make Your Best Friend Cookies!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was tossing these into a ziploc bag and I was really hungry and ate a few, they were pretty f'ing delicious (at least compared to the other dog food i've had).

I was tossing these into a ziploc bag and I was really hungry and ate a few, they were pretty f'ing delicious (at least compared to the other dog food i've had).

I hear eating these keeps your teeth clean and gives you fresher breath,...

..... and rock frinkin hard dumps! :D

My dog was getting into the compost pile and eating tons of grain. His poop looked like tubes of grain. I have frozen a lot of grain from brewing and hope that it did not go sour so I can make treats when I'm not already busy brewing.
I have read a lot about hop - dog poisoning and I throw away any hop trub from brewing to keep the dog away from it. When soaked with sweet wort dogs can be very temped to eat the hops.

It's just grain, peanut butter and flour, tasty if I do say so myself.

Made a batch of these yesterday, the Dude in my avatar loves them. Dump the ingredients into a bowl, and use your hands to squish and mash (not that kind if mash :) ). Easy to make, taste pretty good, but the grain hulls get stuck in my teeth like popcorn hulls. :tank:

I made a triple batch from my Saturday brew session. The dog seems to love the stuff but she is not all that picky. That being said, she is more excited about these compared to say onion.

Haven't seen it mentioned so I gotta ask,

Are you drying the spent grains first? :confused:

I just made a triple batch a couple nights ago after brewing.. and I did not dry the grains. They kinda did that in the oven. I did not bake them nearly as long (and actually had much more variable temps, since we baked some chicken too). They came out pretty good, I tasted them and they remind me of the nature valley granola bars (but not as sweet). My dogs do love them (2 labs and a chaweenie..)

Delarob: I didn't dry the grains first, the two stage baking process drys out the biscuits so that they don't mold. Next time I do this, I'm going to make a double batch. Good luck.

fascinating, as my dog loved onion... and hated alcohol.

Do not feed your dog onion... the thiosulphates can cause an anemic response and in some cases can be fatal. Onion toxicity in dogs is widely documented.

As far as the cookies go - I have been making them for years. My golden and irish setter both freak out over them... I do not dry the grains before I use them in the recipe. But you must account for the water they still hold.

Me and a buddy of mine munch on them at my bar sometimes... lol

dog_bis_001.jpg

dog_bis_002.jpg

dog_bis_003.jpg

ijsut mademy first batch a few nights ago. the dogs love them. LOVE. we made a second batch and double the peanut butter and ground the grains better in a food processor.

being that I own a dog daycare facility, we gave all the cleitns free samples. of course their dogs love them, and they were quite iompressed that we are making our own treats.

working on modifying the recipe with cranberries and glucosamine aqnd gonna start selling them at the front desk..

I keep saying I'm going to make these, but by the time I finish my brew day I just don't have the energy or motivation for it.

I keep saying I'm going to make these, but by the time I finish my brew day I just don't have the energy or motivation for it.

You don't have to do them right away. The grains freeze very well. I have some grains from May that I just thawed 2 weeks ago, dogs can't tell the difference.;)

Made a couple batches yesterday. Don't put a double batch in a single sheet pan, it's a little too thick. I made half peanut butter and half honey. I hope the dogs like honey or I'll have a lot of grain snacks to share with people who come over to drink.

+1 for freezing... I told my wife about freezing my spent Crystal 60... she asked if I thought of her as a b!tch over that... damn, I just cannot find the right tone tonight.

I just made these for my girlfirend's pup and she loved them. extra bonus points for brewing once we move in together soon

THanks!! I work with German Shepherd rescue and am always trying to find ways to save money on food and treats. My fosters LOVE these!!

My dog is going crazy for these, and i love that I know what is in them since I made them. I used whole wheat flower to make them super healthy. I rolled mine out on a flat cookie sheet then baked at 350 for about 1/2 an hour. Then i cut into bit size squares and put in the dehydrator till hard and super dry. Perfect little dog treat!

just made 4 batches of this from the AHS pliny clone I brewed today (I did fwh and removed before boil rather than hops in the mash) - dog treats for me and my friend's dogs!

Just found this - looks like Nuclear is in for some treats after the next brew session.

I'm guessing she'll really like them 'cause she's always hanging out by the composter after I drop the spent grains in.

I'm still learning how all grain brewing works so, does anyone know if I can use the spent specialty grains that come with a northern brewer extract kit to make these treats? Like a wheat extract kit, or an irish red extract kit?

I'm still learning how all grain brewing works so, does anyone know if I can use the spent specialty grains that come with a northern brewer extract kit to make these treats? Like a wheat extract kit, or an irish red extract kit?

Almost all of my brews are extract w/ specialty grains so those are the grains I use...and with great results!

The dogs love these treats but boy are they fibrous. Be prepared to take Fido out numerous time + pronto if you don't want to be mopping the floor/taking the rug to the laundrymat :) Montanaandy

I would love to make treats for my dog but my dog is on a grain free diet because she breaks out really bad from eating grains. i wish she wasnt alergic because its a great idea to use the grains

Montnaandy
Some dogs have bad reactions to grains, mine does fine as do most but dome are very sensitive to flour. Depends on the dog. Mine eats a low grain, low filler, probiotic diet but can have a grain biscuit in the morning and hang out for 10 hours while I go to work without crapping on the floor.

Montnaandy
Some dogs have bad reactions to grains, mine does fine as do most but dome are very sensitive to flour. Depends on the dog. Mine eats a low grain, low filler, probiotic diet but can have a grain biscuit in the morning and hang out for 10 hours while I go to work without crapping on the floor.

My dogs do fine with these treats. I looked at the ingredient list on a box of "Milk-Bones" and it listed "brewer's yeast" and grains. My dogs don't have a problem with milk-bones either. I'm betting if your dog(s) can handle the off-the-shelf versions then they'll be OK with these too...

-Tripod

My beer club president's wife gave me a Tupperware container full of over-cooked doggie beers bars she had made, and told me they were too over cooked for her dog's preference. Casey Blakems, the chu-weeine loves them! I just finished a rye batch and will attempt to make them without over cooking them so my older dog Rippie can eat them with his sensitive teeth.

Montnaandy

We don't have any problems with crapping on the floor either but, the farts are toxic as hell. After one of the beer grain snacks my Boxer can clear the family room.

Back