Golden Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinghellsfire_NZ

Reaction score
has anyone ever brewed with golden syrup and if so how did it turn out? I think golden syrup is made up of Fructose and Glucose both are fermentable i think, so would Golden Syrup just increase alcohol content or does it also increase residual sweetness as well?

This might be worth a read.

By the looks of it it's just fructose and gluclose with some table salt in it if made from beet sugar, but it's not clear about cane sugar.

"In cane sugar refining, golden syrup is a combination of byproducts at the crystallization stage, but an equivalent product is made by beet sugar refiners by processing a sugar solution and breaking down the disaccharide sucrose so that some, but not all, is converted into glucose and fructose. This is either done by acid hydrolysis or by adding an enzyme invertase."

Are you from New Zealand? If so, try emailing Chelsea sugar company, I've emailed them before and they're very helpful.

Back