I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering wtf happened to my ipa. Great then 1 day dry hopping it tastes like an ipa hydrometer sample.

A Mexican place in the nearby town has the best chilli rellenos I have ever tasted. I haven't been to Mexico. The owner doesn't even speak English, but his kids do, 6 sons and 2 daughters. We hardly ever go out to dinner, but most of the time, if we do, it's to the mexican place.

Anyway, the chickens are laying lots of eggs and the lake is teeming with fish and one alligator, still. They put the bait on the wrong side of the lake but no one will listen to me. Bait it where it lives, not on the other side of the lake. Whatever. When these goof balls fail to catch it, maybe I'll get my say on where to put the bait.

A Mexican place in the nearby town has the best chilli rellenos I have ever tasted. I haven't been to Mexico. The owner doesn't even speak English, but his kids do, 6 sons and 2 daughters. We hardly ever go out to dinner, but most of the time, if we do, it's to the mexican place.

Anyway, the chickens are laying lots of eggs and the lake is teeming with fish and one alligator, still. They put the bait on the wrong side of the lake but no one will listen to me. Bait it where it lives, not on the other side of the lake. Whatever. When these goof balls fail to catch it, maybe I'll get my say on where to put the bait.
Maybe make something from the gators? I seem to remember the skins being worth a fair amount.

I couldn't go to bed without testing my stir plate with an actual stir bar. It pulled 3 inches of vortex in a 1 gallon sample, on low. On high it was pulling air down to the stir bar and throwing bubbles all over the place. The only draw back, it's kinda loud. Not the stir plate, the stir bar spinning on the bottom of the container.

Goodnight all. :)

I couldn't go to bed without testing my stir plate with an actual stir bar. It pulled 3 inches of vortex in a 1 gallon sample, on low. On high it was pulling air down to the stir bar and throwing bubbles all over the place. The only draw back, it's kinda loud. Not the stir plate, the stir bar spinning on the bottom of the container.

Put little o-rings on the stir bar. No more clanking

I'm sure you don't need that much striplate LG. You should probably send it to me. :D

My legs are aching. Last night I did 110 flights of stairs (same amount as the World Trade Center had) in full gear. Followed by a busy night with a Rookie.
I just want to go home, have a beer and fall asleep. Unfortunately, the wife just texted and said our youngest threw up and has been crying on and off all night. Looks like a long day ahead.

Oh, and the taps are dry...

Well, my brewing schedule just opened up all the way. :D
The company I worked for is now going in a different direction as far as maintenance is concerned. :confused:
Unemployment tomorrow morning, then going to make a Westvleteren clone.:D

Sorry about your job Beaks!

So, El Paso flooded today. Here are images of my backyard and a street in my neighborhood.

9-12-13 flood.jpg

flood sept. 2013.jpg

IMG-20130912-00204.jpg

I got my vanilla beans in today around noon. I cut them up and put them in the rum and vodka right away. This evening the liquor is already getting darker in color. I can't stop taking little baby sips from the rum. It tastes really nice only after a few hours. I imagine it will become to strong to sip soon. I'm looking forward to doing all kinds of stuff with these extracts. Aside from soda I'll also be adding a little to the bottle bucket of my Imperial Pumpkin ale that's bulk aging.

Put little o-rings on the stir bar. No more clanking
In the middle, or on the sides?

I'm sure you don't need that much striplate LG. You should probably send it to me. :D
Nice try. :)
My legs are aching. Last night I did 110 flights of stairs (same amount as the World Trade Center had) in full gear. Followed by a busy night with a Rookie.
I just want to go home, have a beer and fall asleep. Unfortunately, the wife just texted and said our youngest threw up and has been crying on and off all night. Looks like a long day ahead.

Oh, and the taps are dry...
I hope your kid is ok. Something simple like the flu can really do a number on a little kid.

The company I worked for is now going in a different direction as far as maintenance is concerned. :confused:
That's a good way to look at things. May you find the employment that fills both your heart and your wallet.
Sorry about your job Beaks!

So, El Paso flooded today. Here are images of my backyard and a street in my neighborhood.
Well, at least the turtle is happy.

My 16 yr old beat me at chess this weekend. I've been waiting for that for his whole life. I never let my kids win. It's fun now because he realizes he can beat his old man. Ahh, it's the real joy of fatherhood, watching your boys grow up.

In case you guys didn't know it, I like chess. A lot.

You seem happy about it. So I'm guessing it's a good thing?

Looks like a PITA. At least you're not in Colorado. They got hammered.

You seem happy about it. So I'm guessing it's a good thing?

No, liked the job for the most part the people. Just no real since in bemoaning a fact that I have no control over. So making lemonade or beer in this case. Sent out 6 resumes, I have a really broad skill set so it's just a matter of travel distance and pay.;)

Happy Friday late niters!

Here's a little ditty that I was just listening too, thought you'd enjoy. It's a nice long extended version to give you time to get the incense burning and fall into a cool bluesy trance. Cheers, and have a great weekend.

For your late nite soundtrack, Savoy Brown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, my vanilla extract is already starting to smell very strong of vanilla after only 2 days. I can't wait to use this stuff!

Hmmm...my sour batch is starting to smell a bit Parmesan-cheesy. Very mild smell so far. Going on a weekend trip so I'll let it ride and check it out Monday. The Brett. batch is fermenting like crazy, nice active ferment. This brew is going to be an adventure for sure.

Hmmm...my sour batch is starting to smell a bit Parmesan-cheesy. Very mild smell so far. Going on a weekend trip so I'll let it ride and check it out Monday. The Brett. batch is fermenting like crazy, nice active ferment. This brew is going to be an adventure for sure.

Cheesy can be a hot vomit precursor. :(

Cheesy can be a hot vomit precursor. :(

Um, yeah...that's what I was thinking too. I think I need to get more heat onto that lacto starter to do it clean so this may not be the time of year to try this. We'll see on Monday.

If the sour poops out (heh heh), I'll just let the Brett. ride. I could dry-hop and/or hop tea it if it needs some bittering and aroma, we'll see. I could also get some lactic acid and do a cheater batch of a sour. I'm thinking that I might divide it up and do some straight Brett beer, no hops, with hops, with lactic, with hops & lactic.

Cambridge Brewing Company makes a great all Brett. called Jack Straw, available only on tap, which is a golden ale made with Brett. B. drei. Wildy fruity, tiny acetic tang, super delicious and refreshing beer. I've heard that trois is very similar (perhaps even related), so I may use this batch as a starter and pitch a new beer on the cake and see if I can't get something similar going.

Man, my vanilla extract is already starting to smell very strong of vanilla after only 2 days. I can't wait to use this stuff!
I put mine together just a few minutes ago. I decided to go ahead and both split the pods and cut them into 1/2" pieces. I figured the extra surface area wouldn't hurt. Cutting the pods into pieces also means that you don't have to worry about removing the beans as you use the extract. I guess it's bad if they stick up above the level of the alcohol.

I've got two bottles going. Both are 750ml bottles with 10 pods each. The vodka is Svenka. Not top drawer, but my preference given both the price and flavor. Grey Goose or Stolichnaya are both better, but I like it better then say Smirnoff. The rum is Sailor Jerry. I was going to use Kraken, but I'm just not that big of a fan of dark rum.

Thoughts on storage of these? I know with most spices you want to keep them out of the light. Is that an issue with vanilla extract do you think?

I put mine together just a few minutes ago. I decided to go ahead and both split the pods and cut them into 1/2" pieces. I figured the extra surface area wouldn't hurt. Cutting the pods into pieces also means that you don't have to worry about removing the beans as you use the extract. I guess it's bad if they stick up above the level of the alcohol.

I've got two bottles going. Both are 750ml bottles with 10 pods each. The vodka is Svenka. Not top drawer, but my preference given both the price and flavor. Grey Goose or Stolichnaya are both better, but I like it better then say Smirnoff. The rum is Sailor Jerry. I was going to use Kraken, but I'm just not that big of a fan of dark rum.

Thoughts on storage of these? I know with most spices you want to keep them out of the light. Is that an issue with vanilla extract do you think?

I also split and cut up in 1/2" pieces. The vanilla all sinks to the bottom when it settles. I hadn't thought about light. That's a good question. I didn't use dark rum for mine either. I used standard Cap'n Morgan.

Back