question about steeping temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biertag

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm just getting back into brewing after a few years. My next recipe (Pineapple Pale Ale extract) has a little different directions than I'm normally used to. The directions say to steep grains at 155 degrees for 30 minutes. Does this mean get the temp up to 155 first before adding the grains to the water? Most of the recipes I've done in the past I've just steeped from room temperature until the temp was 170 degrees.

This is my first post here...look forward to getting back into the grind with brewing.

Thanks

Yes, you can get the water to about 160 degrees, and then add the grains. That should get you right around 150-155 or so. Check the temperature, so that it doesn't get higher than that. If it's a partial mash (and it sounds like it is, that's why the directions are so temperature/time specific), you really want to keep the temperature in that range until the time is over.

The directions say to steep grains at 155 degrees for 30 minutes.

If this is exactly what the directions say, then it's probably not a partial mash recipe.

Temp isn't as much of an issue when steeping. Like Yooper said, get the water temp around 160-165, then drop the grains in. The addition of the grains should drop the temp around 155. I usually turn the stove down to low at this point and steep for 1/2 hour.

Edit: Welcome!

Thanks for the replies. It's an extract with specialty grains recipe not a partial-mash. I'll get temp up to 160ish and then place grains in the water for 30 min.

If it's steeping grains, then you can do it either way. Usually, though, directions that temperature/time specific include some grains that must be mashed. Either way, it's a good technique, because you can do PMs the exact same way.

Latest posts

Back