Spicy Aroma?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I just racked my Morebeer Light American Ale kit to secondary and it has a very distinct spicy smell like a cross between cinnamon and nutmeg. Is this something contributed by Cascade hops or is it a sign of something wrong?

Bobby

What yeast did you use? Cascade usually imparts more citrusy notes, not so much spicy ones, but you never know. I'd vote for the yeast as the culprit.

As for whether something is "wrong", that depends on whether you like boring , run-of-the-mill swill, or you like good beer with complexity and interesting characteristics. If you're the latter, then no, nothing is "wrong". If you're the former (or if you just have a severe distaste for cinnamon and/or nutmeg), well, yer outta luck. In that case, I'll be glad to take that beer off your hands for you.

I used Safale S-04. I'm all for complexity, but I suppose it's natural to wonder if your first real batch is going well or not. I'm leaning towards not worrying about it.

Bobby

The ambient temp was 67 degrees in my basement but I never actually checked the temp on the wort during primary. It's showing exactly 70 degrees F on the fermometer in the secondary.

Bobby

Back