Using Brita Pitcher To Top Off Fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zyx345

Reaction score
I normally extract brew from kits, i.e. Midwest Supplies, Northern Brewer, Coopers, AHS, etc.

My tap water is so chemically treated that it I personally don't find it drinkable without using a Brita Pitcher. Therefore, to top off my fermenting vessel I normally use bottled water.

If I ran short one gallon or so and wanted to use my Brita Pitcher to top off the fermenter, does the pitcher need to be sanitized?

Please note I am asking about using the Brita for cold top off water and not water for boiling the extract. Thanks!

Its kind of a personal choice. You would be taking some risk, but IMO not much. I have topped off with water I make from my RO system(I use the waste water so it essentially has only went through a sediment and carbon blocks, not the RO). I haven't had any infections. As long as you change your carbon filter like you should be, I'd be fine with it.

It all depends on your water. I go from the general school of thought that if your water tastes good to drink then you are fine to use it. So if you drink the water from your Brita and are happy with it, then you should be able to use it. Also, keep in mind that one gallon or so top off from the Brita won't change your water profile a lot either.

One last thought for you is that if you use bottled water to begin with, why not make sure you have extra on hand?

Back