plastic bottle color preference

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmason1623

Reaction score
I may have a found a source for 5 gallon bottles that are identical to better bottles (including being molded out of FDA certified PETE #1 plastic resin) but the only difference is that they're blue instead of clear. All things being equal, would home brewers choose clear or blue bottles? remember, everything is identical, they're both round, 5 gallons/19L, FDA approved *clear* PETE, identical opening dimensions, etc. except for the color. Would the color be a determinant in choosing a blue bottle over the clear better bottle?

I think color doesn't matter but would like to hear other opinions. Thanks.

EDIT: The bottles that I'm thinking of getting are translucent just like better bottles but with a blue color tint. Just wanted to clarify.

so many people here ferment in glass carboys and clear better bottles but they keep them covered to avoid light, i wonder why colored or opaque fermentors are not more popular? right now i'm fermenting in a 18 gallon LME container.

Just because it's PET, doesn't mean it's exactly the same. You can have virgin vs. recycled PET, co-polymered PET, etc.

On BB's FAQ, they even say, "Other types of PET carboys may be clear and colorless and resemble BetterBottle carboys in some ways; however, there are usually many indications that they are not equivalent."

I know that if the resin is FDA approved then only virgin resin can be used. As far as homopolymer and coplymer PET, from what I've read copolymer resin has an additive thrown in to homoplymer resin. The addition of this additive, thus the creation of coploymer PET, is for processing reasons and to a lesser extent end user reasons. Copolymer is easier to blow mold because of a lower melting temperature. I'm in the plastic injection molding business and I deal primarily with ABS, HDPE and PP (both homopolymer and copolymer grades). I'm not greatly familair with PET (not yet anyway) I truly believe that better bottles and your average PET #1 bottle are blow molded from the same type of resin, just different manufacturers perhaps. I think BB has done an outstanding job in marketing their bottles. But just like Sunkist oranges and their marketing campaign years ago, oranges are oranges...

I also think that the blue tint would be great for helping (not eliminating) light affected issues in your wort/beer. Sorry for rambling on.

EDIT: if a plastic resin is FDA approved then only virgin resin that is FDA approved to begin with can be used.

Back