Upright Freezer for Lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoGirl

Reaction score
I was just offered an upright freezer for FREE. Would I be able to use this for lagering? I did a quick search of the forum but all I find is for using chest freezers.

Sure...just need a temp controller. The ebay aquarium model is pretty popular and the whole enchilada might set you back $40.

I use one. It's easiest if you get one where the chilling coils are not part of the shelves, but if you are careful, you may be able to bend them out of the way without breaking any of them.

I also had to add a plywood shelf to get the buckets above the compressor hump.

Thanks guys. Its sort of funny as just this weekend I was thinking about a small chest freezer but not ready to put the $$$ out (then I thought about just taking all the food out of my current chest freezer but I think my daughter would kill me).

Homercidal, I was thinking about the need to add a plywood shelf in if nothing else to reinforce the wire shelf that might be in it.

If you have cooling lines in the shelves it might be easier to use the upright frezer for food and the chest freezer for beer....

Back