AHBS - Mini Mash Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZacMac

Reaction score
Can someone explain the process used in the Mini-Mash Kits from
AHBS. I have never ordered from them before and wasn't sure to stick with the extract
or use the MM recipe.

Their mini-mash kits are not like a normal PM, they instruct you to simply steep all the grains like an extract kit with specialty grains. Very easy, I say go for it.

Great, the way they listed the base grains and specialty grains threw me for a loop and made me question the process.
I'm glad to see some extract clones, since I don't have the time or money right now to upgrade to AG.

Mini Mash is basically steeping the grains at a more specific temp, then sparging for sure. Easy and make the beer much cleaner. Read up, then go for it.

Kayos, i have steeped grains before, but for the sparging do you basically pour more hot water (168-170 deg) over the grain bag to extract more starches/sugars out?

Exactly. Ladle hot water slowly and gently over the grains. Do this until you reach your boil amount. Aim for 170 degree water for the sparge. Mash at 154.

My first PM was a AHS kit. The instructions were excellent!

Without typing the entire thing, here is the jist:

Put crushed grains in grain bag. Soak in 2.5 gallons water at 155 for 45 minutes. Discard grains. Bring water to a boil, add extract. Etc.

Just like extract recipes with steeping grains, except more precise on timing and the grains had 2 pounds of 2 row in it. I lined my bottling bucket with an enormous mesh bag and did my mash in it and then a sparge of 170 degree water. Very good instructions and I think they even tell you to order a grain bag if you don't have one. Of course, if you have a mash tun you don't need a grain bag, but I didn't have one then.

If you can do extract with steeping grains, you can do an AHS mini mash.

Steeping is not mashing, sparging is not mashing and the AHS PM's are mashes. You don't need to sparge because they recommend a very thin mash and by using a large grain bag, you can get good extraction.

david_42 said:
Steeping is not mashing, sparging is not mashing and the AHS PM's are mashes. You don't need to sparge because they recommend a very thin mash and by using a large grain bag, you can get good extraction.

True, but I think we are trying to help him understand the directions, not the terms. I believe if you sparge you will get more extractable sugars. Why not get all you can get out of the grain?

Back