US Grown Hops Shortage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
Do we have another hops shortage? My LHBS guy says a lot of US grown hops are almost impossible to find now. He blames the current "death-by-hops" IPA craze.

Supposedly, there are plenty of German noble hops, though.

:confused:

I got the same comment from my LHBS. Although they didn't give me a reason just said to check back later this year. Not sure how much I trust them though as I went in yesterday to get some US-05 and they were out. How can you be out of the most common most used dry yeast?

I've noticed the prices on certain popular hops has risen slightly, but nothing crazy. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the reason. It seems like every new beer I see has at least 70 IBUs.

The last time I went to my LHBS (about a week to ten days ago),they were out of German Tradition hops till harvest. And prices are def up a little.

Even the hop wholesalers are out of Citra, Centennial and Amarillo. And a few others are running seriously low!

I'm buying a pound of Amarillo today, and it wasn't easy to find. The pound of Cascade I wanted wasn't an issue.

I'm surprised that the wholesalers are out of Centennial, though. I wouldn't think that one was too hard to get.

I finally got my hands on some Citra hops last week for an IPA I'm brewing this weekend. Took a lot of looking around to get all the hop varieties I was looking for. It's a bummer having to pay for shipping twice when you can't find all that you need from one supplier.

I have noticed its been tough to get amarillo and simcoe pellets for the past 3 months. heard it was b/c they are proprietary. Was told it would be hard to get these till next harvest.

I've heard from the growers around here that we're on our way to another shortage to rival the one a few years ago.

denny are you saying stock up now? If so do you now which hops to stock up on. You always seem to have a finger on the pulse of the brew community, any suggestions would be appreciated.

I don't want to cause panic buying. AFAIK, it's pretty wide spread among all varieties. Hopefully I'll know more after NHC next week.

Awesome, just what we need, people buying pounds and pounds of hops they'll never use.

_

I take this as another "The sky is falling!" kind of report -much like the ones telling us how we will never be able to buy cornys again so we should buy lots today at this special price...

I'm not saying it isn't true, just consider the bias in your source.

I take this as another "The sky is falling!" kind of report -much like the ones telling us how we will never be able to buy cornys again so we should buy lots today at this special price...

Yes, Denny is considered a very biased and uneven source of information. Who'd trust that guy?!

Seems like about everything is in a "shortage" these days. Other than taxes.

Yes, Denny is considered a very biased and uneven source of information. Who'd trust that guy?!

Ha! I was referring to the LHBS's... Never trust someone who is trying to sell you something to give you unbiased information on the quality or scarcity of that thing.

I just spent a few mins shopping online at various stores and suppliers and there were alot of "out of stock" notes...just sayin.

I just spent a few mins shopping online at various stores and suppliers and there were alot of "out of stock" notes...just sayin.

Yeah, I noticed that the other day too. Hopefully the hop farmers will have a bumper crop this summer =)

Let's not all freak out at once, y'all. Let me freak out first, buy some hops, then you can all have whats left after that.

The LHBS owner did not bring it up, another customer did, saying he had heard about some new hops shortages. The shop owner said his wholesalers were having trouble finding certain hops varieties.

Nobody was buying hops there. Other guy was buying malt for an IPA (which is why he brought up the hops question), I was getting some DME for a starter.

You make hop fire crackers rather then hop nucks. Or grow your own. Thats what im ganna do next year.

My LHBS was out of the German Tradition till harvest. Gunna stock up on that when it comes in. But he has a fresh,big bag of whole leaf Cascade hops,so I scarfed some of that. I was surprised the two fistfuls of German tradition hops he had a week or so before was gone when I cam back to get some. I didn't think it was that popular anymore.

My LHBS did not have northern brewer in stock 2 weeks ago. They told me that they were having difficulties getting some hop strains due to a shortage.

When I talked to a brewer at a local micro here he told me this happens just about every year due to the system they use for hop between the growers and brewers. I don't have all the details but the simple version as he explained it was that all of the larger brewers reserve X amount of each hop in advance. As the year progresses and the growers have a larger crop or the brewers use less of certain hops than expected they re-inventory and see what is available to sell to the public and smaller brewers without the large accounts. One of his biggest sellers is Knuckle Sandwich double IPA that has a large amount of Simcoe. He couldn't brew it for quite some time while he was waiting on the re-inventory so that he could buy some.

When I talked to a brewer at a local micro here he told me this happens just about every year due to the system they use for hop between the growers and brewers. I don't have all the details but the simple version as he explained it was that all of the larger brewers reserve X amount of each hop in advance. As the year progresses and the growers have a larger crop or the brewers use less of certain hops than expected they re-inventory and see what is available to sell to the public and smaller brewers without the large accounts. One of his biggest sellers is Knuckle Sandwich double IPA that has a large amount of Simcoe. He couldn't brew it for quite some time while he was waiting on the re-inventory so that he could buy some.

I love knuckle Sandwich!! Bummer it goes quick when they do have it.

There are 2 new hop farms within a half hour of my house so I figured I would be able to easily get fresh hops cheap. Unfortunately both farms sold their entire crop a year in advance to local breweries. One of them expanded alot this year so hopefully things might change but I can't believe they won't sell a couple of pounds to a homebrewer. I wish I had the property and equipment to plant 50 acres of hops.

I was getting real low on my hop supplies so I figured it was time to get a few varieties. after going to my go to places it is obvious there is some shortages. hope the crop is good this year but I still need to make it to November when they become available.

I *think* I have enough hops to make it to Fall.

I'm on a reduced brewing schedule, just 5 gallon extract and PM batches once a month, until it cools off again. It is just too dang hot to brew AG around here in the summer, and summer came early.

:(

I reload ammunition, and shortages were endemic for two years after TCOOTWH was elected. Same kind of Panic buying of stuff they won't use in 10 years.

I reload ammunition, and shortages were endemic for two years after TCOOTWH was elected. Same kind of Panic buying of stuff they won't use in 10 years.

Yeah, I was in the middle of an AR/M4gery build, then Obama got elected, and I couldn't get squat for parts for a year. Prices went through the roof, availability was ridiculous, and the fear mongering was insane. I bought 100 rds of 5.56 and decided that if I needed more than that, I shouldn't be in whatever situation called for ammo in the first place!

Hopefully this is just speculation about a shortage like the corny thing. I went to Keg Cowboy yesterday and they had plenty of kegs to sell.

I wonder if everyone is switching to us05 because of the Nottingham price jump.

I got the same comment from my LHBS. Although they didn't give me a reason just said to check back later this year. Not sure how much I trust them though as I went in yesterday to get some US-05 and they were out. How can you be out of the most common most used dry yeast?

off topic, but what's TCOOTWH? I know its a reference to Obama. The Current Occupier Of The White House?

off topic, but what's TCOOTWH? I know its a reference to Obama. The Current Occupier Of The White House?

Bingo. "occupant." I ceased to see any difference among those who occupy it some time ago, and since SCOTUS is now an accepted acronym for the Supreme Court, why not one for the president?

Bingo. "occupant." I ceased to see any difference among those who occupy it some time ago, and since SCOTUS is now an accepted acronym for the Supreme Court, why not one for the president?

I still prefer POTUSA...

Amarillo are definitely in shortage. It is proprietary and the the source is in some family/ licsensing dispute. Heard this story from my LHBS.

i'm one who has pounds and pounds of hops in my freezer, hardly have any space for food in there. i have not heard about any shortages but whenever i discover a hop variety that i like in a craft beer i buy a pound or two, i don't like buying by the oz.

That's why I volunteer at my local brewery...always know the levels of the hops that the attached homebrew supply show is selling, so if I notice a shortage coming, I start buying it all up.

I was supposed to get ingredients fir a Simcoe/Citra IPA today. Now I'll be making a Magnum/Falconers Flight IPA :(

I was thinking a hop shortage could be in our near future just because of all this wierd a$$ weather we've been having. Guess we'll find out in a few months.

MBasile said:
I was supposed to get ingredients fir a Simcoe/Citra IPA today. Now I'll be making a Magnum/Falconers Flight IPA :(

I usually call before I goto my LHBS to make sure they have what I need before I drive over, or bring 3 or 4 recipes so I don't have to sub anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back