oxiclean question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

400d

Reaction score
I use oxiclean for cleaning my carboys after primary and secondary.

I just toss some oxiclean inside and top the carboy with water, leaving it overnight.

the bubbles definitely clean all the stains and the carboy is shiny in the morning, but I have a problem with rinsing the oxiclean from the inside.

I don't use a brush, just rinse it well, but it always leaves the surface slicky and slimy.... so the water isn't washing it out I belive....

I heard that treating the surface with vinegar after oxiclean is helpful and efficient. is it true?

is there another way?

thanks

I also use Oxyclean free to clean my fermenters, i do a tripe rinse with hot water and never seem to have a problem.

I left a carboy sitting for a couple of days soaking thinking it was no big deal. I was busy and couldn't get to it the next day. Well, after much rinsing, there was a cloudy haze left that wouldn't even brush off. Couldn't think of what to do, asked a friend and he suggested CLR. I made a solution of water per the instructions and I'm pretty sure the glass was cleaner than when I got it. I rinsed the hell out of it though. I have since gone the route of submersible pump and pvc with holes drilled in the cap. Works a lot better than soaking.

I have found that it's best to mix Oxyclean with hot water and rinse with cold. IMO, most of the reported residue issues are due to a high mineral content in the water, a high ph or both. CLR, vinegar or StarSan (weak acid soltuions) will usually take care of any chalky film residue etc. There seems to be no consensus on how much Oxyclean to use when mixing up a solution. The directions are of no help in this regard as we are not using it as most consumers would (laundry detergent booster etc), so we are forced to wing it. I typically use about one scoop per 5 gallons of hot water, but I also vary the concentration depending on what I am cleaning and how dirty the items are. I think I'm wasting a lot of it in many cases by using too much. One thing for sure is to not let the Oxyclean solution dry on equipment before rinsing and don't soak anything for excessively long periods. OTOH, I have filled carboys with hot Oxyclean and left them soaking for many days without any problem at all, but I did fill them completely and kept them topped off with water at all times.

Back