adding fresh wort to a fermenting beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcclai7

Reaction score
Ok, so I made a peat smoked porter today. The peated malt I used had been sitting in my house for almost a year. It was in a one pound pack that was unopened. It smelled very peaty, but I tasted some and it didn't seem very peaty. I used an entire pound which many people would say is madness!! Anyway after tasting the wort at several stages I don't detect any peat or any smoke at all.

1. Its possible that the peat will come through during fermentation, so I will wait on it.

2. If it doesn't, could I do the following: Get another pound of fresh peated malt, do a small mash with it, heat the wort to 170 for a few mins to kill any bacteria, cool it down, add to fermenter. I wouldn't worry about DMS since its such a small percentage of the total grains, its peated malt and finally because the rest of the beer is so rich and robust there's no way a tiny amount of DMS would ever be detectable.

Does anyone have any experience with something like this, or have any suggestions?

I had a bier de garde that lost a bunch of volume through the blowoff tube and when I racked to secondary I siphoned onto a boiled, cooled DME solution. I was mainly worried about oxidation. I don't think that it oxidated noticeably, but I've never really had a horribly oxidated beer, so I could be wrong.

Not sure that applies to your case. In your case I'd ride it out, but if you really want to do it, go ahead and mash it a bit thin and boil it down some to drive off a bit of the DMS. I've BIAB'd some pretty small amounts of grain ("mini-mash/partial-extract", 1-gallon) and you've got to watch those temps pretty close without letting to much heat out, which can be tricky.

Hope someone else can give you an idea about using peat smoked malt.

yep, doing a small mash would be hard to temp control. What about a cold steep? I did that one time with some pale chocolate malt in a dunkelweizen and it turned out fantastic. I'm thinking a 24 hr cold steep and then bring to 170 for a little while to kill bacteria, cool, and add to fermentor. Again, I just can't imagine DMS being an issue given the afore mentioned variables.

I wouldn't worry too much about the temp control of a small mash. Smoked malt is actually pretty high in diastatic power, so the mini-mash of 1 pound of grain would be done in 15-20 mins (even large mashes are converted that fast). Cold steeping the peat smoked malt wouldn't give you any fermentables, but you would get the flavor.

I would just mash for about 30-45 mins with about a gallon of water, then boil it for about 15-20 mins just to decrease the volume of liquid. Cool and dump in the fermentor. Should work fine.

I wouldn't worry too much about the temp control of a small mash. Smoked malt is actually pretty high in diastatic power, so the mini-mash of 1 pound of grain would be done in 15-20 mins (even large mashes are converted that fast). Cold steeping the peat smoked malt wouldn't give you any fermentables, but you would get the flavor.

I would just mash for about 30-45 mins with about a gallon of water, then boil it for about 15-20 mins just to decrease the volume of liquid. Cool and dump in the fermentor. Should work fine.

I don't care about fermentables those have all been taken care of, I just want the peat flavor. I'm going to wait for a week or so and taste a sample. It's possible that it just takes a while for peat to show up (This seems unlikely though bc I have brewed several smoked beers and all tasted very smokey before fermentation.) If its not there I think I'll go with a cold steep.

Back