Brewing with old grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaimeTheLimey

Reaction score
Looking to brew this weekend but don't have the money or time to go to the brew shop. I have plenty of fresh gear around except a small amount of crushed grain that's been in my fridge for a few years. I'm willing to experiment but only if it's not going to cause severe off flavor. It'll be partial mash with about 3lbs of grain.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

I've read multiple threads on this forum about grains and storage. Some people store them for a couple years. Myself, I purchase 25Kg bags and store them in my basement in storage bins. It's cool enough and the bins keep the humidity out.

IMO brewing is just like cooking; to get the best results, use the best ingredients. If you think that the grain might not be good, don't risk it. Having said that, grain in a properly sealed container should last a long time, especially if refrigerated and airtight. Freshness is another matter...

Taste it. Any off flavor will also be present in the pre-mashed grain. Also check it for signs of mold. If it passes a taste and mold check, worst case is that lack of freshness will keep the grains from contributing to flavor like they should.

I brewed a couple batches with uncracked grain that was almost three years old, in a 50lbs bag. My efficiency is usually in the 70%'s, but with that grain (on every batch) it was in the 40%'s. If you have a small amount, it isn't worth it. Get new grain. If you need to use up a 50lbs bag, make sure your grain mill is motorized cause yer gonna use a lot of grain :)

Latest posts

Back