Need help engineering burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philip1993

Reaction score
I've read and read, but I can't quite find the answer to my issues. I'm hoping someone here has a similar arrangement and can help.

History:
Until recently, my brewstand had one old turkey fryer burner with the stock (unknown HP) regulator. Heating strike water has been very slow (12gal = 45min-1hr), and shuffling full pots is dangerous, so I decided to upgrade. My batch size is presently 5gal all grain, but I have the equipment for 10gal and 10gal or back to back batches is in my near future.

Present:
I purchased an M5HPR-1 (fixed 20psi) regulator, two BG12 (5.5"/SG14) burners, One needle valve (on the regulator), two gas valves, and several lengths of hose.

Problems:
- With all valves fully open, both burners flameout.
- With both burner control valves fully open, and the regulator valve adjusted for best performance, reducing flow to one burner increases flow to the other. Significant changes result in flameout.
- With all three valve adjusted for best performance, changing any one results on poor performance. Low flame, flameout, etc.

In a nutshell, I want to set it up so these two burners to behave more like stove burners. Independent of one another, and setup so that a burner control knob fully opened is at max performance, and not a btu more. Am I asking too much?

Any help would be appreciated. Based on today's brief experience, I'm ready to go get two 10psi regulators and two propane tanks.

Do you have the SQ14? I have one of those, and its not much of a burner.. That said, I have a T from my tank that goes to each regulator individually. That way I can run two different types of burners independently. I used 1/4" pipe and T to thread into the regulators. I am not able to upload pics.

The easiest solution would be to use a separate variable pressure regulator for each burner. I also think that the 20 psi regulator you are using is a major part of the problem. IIRC, that burner is designed to use with a 10 psi regulator.

The max performance setting for any particular burner/regulator combination may be something other than wide open, so yes, you might be asking too much in that regard. I would not be so concerned with whether or not the control knob is fully open or not. The air damper may need to be adjusted for different flame levels. Usually you can find a good compromise setting for the air damper and you will only need to adjust it for the extreme settings at either the low or high end and possibly not at all. You should not need a second tank, although that is the way I do it. IMO, the SQ-14 is an excellent and versatile burner. I've been using one for a long time with good results.

onthekeg: Yes, sort of. The BG12 is the burner found in the SQ14, but I bought it separately.

Catt22: Full open is not necessarily a requirement, but a easy, clear "stop" indicator is. Even if that means just a pen mark. What I don't want to have to do is dial it in every time for best performance.

The 20psi was recommended by a friend, but obviously it's too much. Bayou classic makes a stand that uses two BG12's, and it is factory with a 15psi regulator.

I'm thinking I may do dual adjustable regulators/single tank, and use the regulator for adjustment. Anyone have experience with the pre-regulator pressures and what type of plumbing and hoses are necessary regulator to tank?

Latest posts

Back