Any thoughts/advice on my next two brews would be appreciated.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stTimer

Reaction score
They are the XTreme Brew Kit Sunburnt Wheat and Brewer's Best Robust Porter. Has anyone ever made any of these before? If so I would love to hear what you think. Especially on the XTreme Kit Sunburnt Wheat. My first batch was a Brewers Best and it came out great, or at least I hope it does after its done carbing. Initial taste was greaat. Thanks for the input guys/gals.

yeah, I know. Im being impatient. Im working on getting better though. Wrong hobby to have if you dont have patience. Maybe Ill meditate. :)

Haha yeah, 30 mins won't always yield a complete response...

I brewed the brewer's best robust porter as my second batch I think, it it was very tasty! It comes out as just barely strong enough to be called robust, but it is a very good beginner brew. My only mistake was using all 5oz of priming sugar included in the kit. That is way too much for this beer. I ended up with about 2.8 volumes where 2.2 might be more appropriate.
Porter1.jpg

Looks very nice. Thanks for the input on the sugar. Being new at this I would have just dumped it all in. I did with the American Nut Brown I jsut bottled. Hope it wasnt too much.

Eh the nut brown might be a little on the fizzier side but not as out of style as if it were an english brown. I did many of my first batches with all 5oz before I caught on. It helps if the beer was on the warmer side when you bottled (less CO2 already present in solution). If you want to learn more about getting the right carbonation, google "priming sugar calculator" or something to that effect. There are plenty out there and you enter your desired volumes of CO2 (consult the BJCP style guide for an appropriate range for your beer, at least until you get an idea of what, say, 2.4 volumes feels like compared to 3.0) the temperature of the beer at bottling, the batch size, and what type of sugar you are using for priming, and it will tell you how much to use.

Latest posts

Back