Help! I need my primary back! (Brett question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justinian

Reaction score
About a month ago I threw a Brett smack pack from Wyeast onto a red ale that was finished primary fermentation, but then I realised I should've racked to secondary first. Now I want to use my primary fermenter, but I don't want to rack to secondary too soon, without letting the Brett do it's thing. I've heard that it likes to feed on the trub of the primary yeast.

My (limited) understanding is that the Brett fermentation takes 3-6 months to develop all the great funky flavours, but I want my primary back!

Any suggestions?

could you keg it and let the brett bring it up to carb levels? You could take "samples" and krausen it periodically to keep things flowing. This is theoretical on my part.. I've never attempted such.

You can just rack it. There should be enough yeast in suspension for brett to still work on it> if in doubt, gently rock the fermentor a bit beforehand to stir stuff up

That being said, you recognize the potential for post-brett infections right? If you primary isnt made of glass, youd be better off buying a new fermentor and devoting this one to wild fermentations. Euither way, youre probably better off buying some additional fermentors anyway. I've only been brewing like 18 months but ive got about 12 fermentors and 8 kegs

Thanks for the responses guys!

I decided to just do a 'dirty' rack to secondary, carrying over some of the trub from the primary.

I'm not too worried about my primary infecting future brews - I like sour beer anyway! That said if there's anything I'm missing here please feel free to school me.

Back