(Kinda) Old Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmantzey

Reaction score
Less than a year ago, I stored some leftover grain into tupperware containers/storage bags and put them in the freezer. How long should these grains last without any unwanted side-effects? Freezing the grain shouldn't hurt it right? The grains are crushed. Thanks again!

my guess is they are probably not a good idea to use. First they have have other flavors from the freezer in them, second they are crushed. For optimal extraction you need to use them as soon as possible, even with freezing.

that and it cant be more than $5 dollars worth of grain anyway, go to your LHBS and get some new. Your beer will thank you.

Well, I did seal them pretty well in the tupperware and I put them in plastic bags as well. You may be right about the freezer flavors, so I'll definitely consider that, but as for their age and the temperature, they should be okay right?

I made a brew with old grain recently. Off flavors came to haunt me. I cannot think of any possible reason other than the old grain I used. If I had to redo it I would just go buy some new grain rather than my near year old refrigerated grain.

Fresh ingredients = happy beer.

Roger that! Question, what grains did you use? Was it the main malts or just a few oz of specialty grains?

I would guess that the grain is probably still good. You could always give it the taste test. Take a handful and give it a good chew. If it tastes fine, you're fine. If you taste something funky, trash it.

Latest posts

Back