Where to start??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdknuc2

Reaction score
Hey I'm brand new to the forum and this question is probably been asked a thousand times so if there is another thread plz just link. Anyway I'm ready to brew beer for the first time and dont even know where to start. Figured this would be a good place to get some advice from people who have already done this and have been through some trial and error. But I would like some info starting from where to buy a kit/what kind of kit and what all I would need to get for my first batch. Also, what is a good starter recipe? Any other cool stuff about the site let me know!

There should be a bunch of these threads. This is the first one I remembered.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/new-what-kit-buy-88668/

You can get roughly the same basic kit in many different places. As I wrote in the thread above, if you can find a local homebrew shop to buy a starter kit from, you may spend a little more than some of the larger online stores, but you will get other benefits (advice, local assistance) that may be priceless.

In terms of what kind of recipe, the easiest place to start is a kit. Most starter brewing kits come with a recipe kit as well. If not, the seller should at least offer one. An ale will probably be an easier starting point than a lager. I'd recommend you pick an ale you like (pale ale, blond ale, stout, amber) and go for that. Its always good to enjoy the style you're brewing.

If you have any other questions, feel free to post them. You'll get a lot of good information and many opinions in return.

Well from what ive see so far the two main type of beer are ales and lagers. Ale can be kept at room temp but lagers seem a little more complicated and need to be kept at a lower temp?

Back