Airlock Worries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddy22

Citizensnips
Reaction score
Hi, obviously i'm quite knew to brewing and i’m just here for some of the great advice that's on offer. I've only ever done three brews that havent been too bad but like all, I aim to improve. I've wanted to do a Larger for a long time and yesterday I decided to do one. I’m brewing in my garage where it’s around 15 degrees Celsius, some say this isn’t too cold for a Larger but I used a heat belt to keep it around the 16-18 degrees mark. I pitched the Yeast around 30 hours ago and still haven’t seen any signs of the airlock bubbling??. I’m wanting your advice on what to do, whether to wait, open and check, pitch knew yeast ect.. Advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

I've never brewed a lager, but 30 hours isn't that long of a lag time. My understanding is that lagers move a little slower than ales and you should definately make a starter.

A lager can take a week to start without a starter and the growth phase is much slower if you pitch cold. Some people (including myself) pitch lagers around room temperature and cool it once the fermentation starts.

My larger started bubbling this morning. It bubbles every once and a while so everything looks to be on track. Thanks for the help.

Back