Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sounds damn good. I expect a full report or berry pawnches will ensue.

it starts off slightly sweet and citrusy and moves right into earthy and smokey while still holding onto the slight sweetness. it's not a Latakia bomb, but you definitely know it's there. I think the Green River smooths out the Latakia and tames the small amount of Perique, which still gives a light pepper and dark fruit note in the taste but mostly disappears in the aftertaste. nothing about it is overpowering. it can compliment an Imperial Stout, a Scotch Ale, and liven up a Brown or Mild Ale without being overbearing. hell, I had a Rodenbach Grand Cru with a bowl last night and was very pleased how well they went together.

Picked up a tin of Drew Estate Meat Pie on a whim (all they had other than aro's and I'm fussy about them) and plan on opening it tomorrow. Be one of the first tins I've bought and opened in years right away. I tend to store them (just opened a tin I dated 1/2007 of mac baren HH Virginia that to my chagrin is no longer produced, shame its quite tasty)

waiting for my savinelli churchwarden and a bigger order of 1q from 4noggins. also got there aro sampler pack. been enjoying the aro's most out of anything. just finding I'm needing to dry the baccy out more when I smoke.

waiting for my savinelli churchwarden and a bigger order of 1q from 4noggins. also got there aro sampler pack. been enjoying the aro's most out of anything. just finding I'm needing to dry the baccy out more when I smoke.

4noggins is a great company, glad to see them get some pub.
Picked up a tin of three nuns in Pennsylvania yesterday dated Dec/13 so it should be good to go

finished this fancy little thing.

Very nice. I just finished sanding my first pipe. Kind of funny, I've actually only tried smoking a pipe like 3 times so far. I bought six tins of different tobaccos and started building my own pipe. I'm halfway done with building a humidor and I've smoke exactly 5 cigars in my entire life. Ive started building a pipe rack today.

Here is the pipe. I still have to stain and wax it.

20160529_172805-67289.jpg

Very nice. I just finished sanding my first pipe. Kind of funny, I've actually only tried smoking a pipe like 3 times so far. I bought six tins of different tobaccos and started building my own pipe. I'm halfway done with building a humidor and I've smoke exactly 5 cigars in my entire life. Ive started building a pipe rack today.

Here is the pipe. I still have to stain and wax it.

20160529_172805-67289.jpg

You gotta start with something, right?
Woodworking projects are one of my favorite things about my pipe habit.

Nice looking pipe November!
I too am a pipe smoker but never made one.
I'm too lazy I suppose. I am lucky if I clean them enough :eek:
Here is what I must consider my best pipe. It was hand made by a chap in the UK.
He calls his pipes Briar Spirit Pipes. This one was dubbed The Raptor:

DSCN2873.jpg

Smoking a cob of Comoy's Cask No. 4 right now

My dad smoked pipes for awhile. He had this thing on his keyring for scraping out the ash, and tamping the new tobacco.
Some might argue, but I like the scent of fresh tobacco. If I was single I'd probably use it for potpourri.

Nice Stanwell Precious Paul!!! I have 4 Stanwells, great smokers. I've been wanting a zebrano.
Now smoking some PS LNF in a gaudy Carnaby St. Bent Dublin made in England. I tend to smoke her too hot.
CARNABYSTREET1.jpg

CHEERS!

Nice Stanwell Precious Paul!!! I have 4 Stanwells, great smokers. I've been wanting a zebrano.
Now smoking some PS LNF in a gaudy Carnaby St. Bent Dublin made in England. I tend to smoke her too hot.
CARNABYSTREET1.jpg

CHEERS!

She's a beauty. I've got two stanwells, quite enjoy them. Dream pipe is an ardor

Sorry for the dumb question, but best to ask real world folks, what's the best wood to make a pipe with? And how do you get the pipe end hollow?

Now that the FDA is regulating cigars, I think pipe smoking is going to make a comeback.

They haven't begun to regulate it yet but it does look to be happening in the near future. Glad I roll my own cigars and hope they don't start regulating the raw leaf I buy.

Just started making pipe blends as well this week. Bought a 1lb pre-blend kit of a Balkan blend. Processing and shredding a pound of tobacco by hand was no small amount of work but it looks and smells good to me.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1465338973.812469.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1465338984.226678.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1465338997.446424.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1465339010.413996.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1465339035.032008.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1465339046.669074.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1465339057.771331.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1465339066.274546.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1465339073.708151.jpg

as soon as I get a nice piece of land somewhere I'm growing my own tobacco. only way around these regulations and rising costs. then I'll be happy as can be. all my vices will be self produced. beer n' baccy!

The only downside to home grown tobacco is the processing to make a smokeable product be it fermenting, kilning, flue curing, or fire curing. Then it has to age to mellow and really be the best it can. That being said I would do some very questionable things to have the land to grow my own

The only downside to home grown tobacco is the processing to make a smokeable product be it fermenting, kilning, flue curing, or fire curing. Then it has to age to mellow and really be the best it can. That being said I would do some very questionable things to have the land to grow my own

true, but I see it like home brewing. it's a process with tried and true methods that can practiced and perfected. I expect my first harvest to be much like some of my first batches. tolerable at best.

So I bought stuff a few months ago to start getting into this hobby. Put it off.. I tried smoking my brand new pipe for the first time tonight and I can't seem to keep it lit. Am I not packing correctly? What causes it? I know it's probably normal to have to re-light every so often, but I can't keep it lit whatsoever. Any tips are appreciated!

This is the pipe I bought just because I didn't want to buy anything too expensive if I don't commit to the hobby.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/70787/missouri-meerschaum-ozark/

So I bought stuff a few months ago to start getting into this hobby. Put it off.. I tried smoking my brand new pipe for the first time tonight and I can't seem to keep it lit. Am I not packing correctly? What causes it? I know it's probably normal to have to re-light every so often, but I can't keep it lit whatsoever. Any tips are appreciated!

This is the pipe I bought just because I didn't want to buy anything too expensive if I don't commit to the hobby.

Can be a combination of things including packing but is usually a problem to do with moisture of tobacco.

Round two with my homemade pipe blend. I sent a sample to a buddy that makes pipes and he has smoked a half dozen bowls and now wants a half pound. At $25/lb in leaf expense I'm really impressed with this stuff. I need to hide a good amount from myself because I think it will age very very well
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1467085950.098092.jpg

Try the Frank Method (pronounced in the German: fronk), explained here (and a lot of other places, this was just the first link on my search): http://jimscigarandpipe.info/frank.html

When I pack my pipe traditionally, it's always going out and so I have to keep puffing and let it get super hot to keep it going, which makes for a very unpleasant experience. If I take the time for a Frank pack I spend much less time relighting and puffing to maintain a flame and more time enjoying a longer lasting and cooler smoke.

A question of my own: does anybody know where one would get a replacement bit for a pipe? The bit on my favorite pipe broke a few years ago and I've had to live without it in the intervening years, but since there are a bunch of pipe aficionados here, perhaps someone has a good suggestion to get it back in action.

Ima going to blow smoke. In this thread I started. . I'm really happy it has become a helpful guide to pipes.
Truly
Dan

Well done Dan.
I enjoy this thread, and have learned a lot.
And been introduced to some great tobaccos.
Good on you. :thumbup:

Back