How do you mount your temp controller sensor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheesecake

Reaction score
How do you mount the sensor for your temp controller.

I have a ranco temp controller and im not sure how i should mount it in the freezer. right now i have it in a cup of rice. is this correct or is there a better way

thermowell dip tube in the fermenter chamber.

3 sided styrofoam box taped to a keg in the keezer.

Lots plunk there in water or cool pak goo. I don't trust that.

i have one hanging in air. i just adjust for actual beer temp.

i have another one duct-taped to a carboy full of maibock. i'm controlling to that temp sensor right now.

im nor fermenting in the freezer im usinf it as a keezer. hmm maybe ill tape it to the wall of the freezer and use my other thermometer to take the temp of a glass of water and compare the 2 to see how off they are

I wouldn't tape the sensor to the wall of the freezer since the coils are in teh walls. Ever notice that frost builds on the walls first.

The best approach is to get your reading directly from the liquid being controlled and let ambient do as it will. without actually submersing the probe in direct contact with liquid.

not sure how i would do that maybe ill wrap a gel pack around the sensor that might be the closest

I cover the temp sensor with a small piece of rubber insulation and velcro it to the 5# aluminum tank sitting in the fridge (sensor-to-tank contact). It dampens the temperature response enough to maintain 37 - 39F (setpoint is 38F).

Back