Is this a bargain? Craiglist keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's a deal only if you don't already own an angle grinder and a step drill bit. It's about $30 more than a comparable keg (of questionable origin). So you're paying $30 for a cut off top and two holes. $30 may or may not be cheaper than buying an angle grinder and a step bit. I'd offer about $40 for it. Good luck.

It looks to me like the thermometer hole is way too high. If you're going to use the keg as a hot liquid tank, then the keg will have to be almost half full for the thermometer to be submerged. You could weld in a coupling and then plug the coupling. Then drill the thermometer hole down at the bottom.

If you're going to boil in the keg, then you don't need the thermometer (except for the cooling phase perhaps).

I don't care for those older style kegs but that's just my opinion. For me I would pass on this one.

I wouldn't buy it. There are lots of them without dents, and with the flat sides, and it really isn't hard to take the top off or drill the 7/8" holes. I have 3, and paid 25/40/40 for mine.

On a side note, drilling the 1.25" hole for a heater element was a lot of work and finished off my large step bit.

Seems a little spending to be, But first keg was $35 bucks 2nd was free..I know i was lucky.

Personaly, The best way to get a keg, If you live near a college and know someone who goes to it....Have them keep there ears open for the next "kegger"

While everyone is trashed make a offer :mug:

Just a thought.....

You can always just call up your local micro. I have seen many times a stack of kegs just sitting taking up room because there is a problem with the keg and it doesn't make sense to fix it. However they would work perfect for cutting the top off and using as a keggle.

Back