storing yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_bell

Reaction score
I have a few questions regarding starters. 1. is it possible to store a starter in the fridge after primary fermentation has stopped and the yeast has settled? 2. If yes, how long can a starter be stored for and ,3. If yes, should fresh wort be added to renew fermentation prior to use, or can it be used as is?

Thanks all.

1. Yes, just store it in something sealable
2. That depends on the age of the yeast when you first made the starter.
3. Depeding on how long you plan on storing it will determine if you should do another starter before using it. Less than a week and you will be okay. Any longer and I personally would do another starter.

So let me ask you a question, why are you asking these types of questions? What are you up to? :)

His yeast starter is done and his woman won't let him brew the next couple days.

Usually that is the case, but no, I did I yeast starter using Boulevard wheat beer, just as an experiment since I had no idea whether or not this beer was pasteurized or if the yeast in the bottle would be viable. I had never done a starter before, but lo and behold it worked and appeared to work well. There is a picture in my gallery. The starter finished fermenting Monday, I was not able to use it right away and I am leaving on vacation tomorrow.

I have an American wheat beer kit which I want to brew when I return, . I'm thinking I'll just do a fresh starter once I return. Right now it's in the fridge in the flask and still covered with foil.

Latest posts

Back