Mikkeller single-hop Ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Battery_BreweryNJ

Reaction score
Let me tell you this guy makes some amazing beers(ie: Beer Geek Brkfst, Stateside Ipa, Beer Geek Brunch). He continues to amaze me with the Single-Hop series. There is a Simcoe, Cascade, Amarillo, Warrior, Tomahawk. Tonight I had the Cascade and Amarillo and let me tell you Wow! The beers totally showcase the individual hops. After doing a little research i found out that each beer uses the same grains(Pilsner, cara-crystal, and munich) allowing for more of the hop to come through.
Anyone else have any of these beers?

That's a cool concept. Has he done centennial? That may work out nicely. Hows the bittering on the cascade and amarillo? Those are usually flavor and aroma. Never have used those for bittering addition.

yeah, ive had them all just to get a better idea of these certain hop profiles that particular hops display. my only complaint is that they are priced at $5.49 a piece

I just picked up warrior, simcoe, and chinook for research purposes tonight. I'm pretty impressed with this brewer's business model so far. A showcase brew might be a great idea for one of the breweries in the states to pick up.

I realize I'm resurrecting an old thread, but it is pretty much along the lines of what I wanted to open up for discussion.

I had the idea of brewing some small batches down the road that would feature a single style of hops, but this thread and Mikkeller beat me to the punch. Anyways.....

I've recently become introduced to Simcoe hops. I must say, it was love at first taste/smell. My local beer bar has some of the Mikkeller Simcoe (single hop IPA) in kegs and it's fantastic. Normally my beer gets close to ambient temperature when drinking it as I tend to savor it (even ones I've had before), but this stuff I have to slow myself down on. It barely has time to start warming up before I've killed off the pint. At $10 a glass, it could get pricey quick.

I've tried the Citra, Cluster, Warrior, and Nugget all of which weren't bad at all, but not nearly as tasty as the Simcoe. They're $9 a bottle at the bar and I'd like to try them all, but it's kind of cost prohibitive and unfortunately there's a limited supply of it outside of the bar.

Do any of you have recommendations? I'd like make a list and work my way down said (arbitrary) list of "best" to "worst."

Back