re-bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mapleroots

Reaction score
has anyone bottled and opened and re caped their beer. I only as because my last brew was bottled in 22 oz.'s and they need to be in 12 oz.'s for a local beer tasting event. I poured the beer in a pitcher and am letting sit right now for the head to go down. I'm planing on adding more dextrose when i transfer to the final bottles. please give me some feedback on this procedure.

has anyone bottled and opened and re caped their beer. I only as because my last brew was bottled in 22 oz.'s and they need to be in 12 oz.'s for a local beer tasting event. I poured the beer in a pitcher and am letting sit right now for the head to go down. I'm planing on adding more dextrose when i transfer to the final bottles. please give me some feedback on this procedure.

It's too late now, but for next time I'd suggest gently siphoning the beer from one bottle to the next. Or, plan ahead and use a mix of different bottle sizes.

Pouring it means that you oxidized it. Then, rebottling it will be difficult because there is already some carbonation present. So, it may very well be overcarbed. Or undercarbed, depending on how much priming sugar you add. So, the worst case in my mind is oxidized bottle bombs. Best case is that it doesn't taste too bad from the aeration.

just caped the bottles. next time i will definitely plan ahead, right now I just have my fingers crossed and am hoping for the best.

Back