Did I screw up my saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m3n00b

Reaction score
I cold crashed and added gelatin yesterday. After adding the gelatin I smelled the saucepan and it had a slightly burnt smell to it. I only heated it to 165.

You probably did not screw up the Saison. I guess that it is a bit of the gelatin that got scorched. There would not be enough to add the scorched smell or taste to the beer. If too much of the gelatin was lost it might not do as much clearing as it should but that would only mean that the beer would not be as clear as it could be.

You probably did not screw up the Saison. I guess that it is a bit of the gelatin that got scorched. There would not be enough to add the scorched smell or taste to the beer. If too much of the gelatin was lost it might not do as much clearing as it should but that would only mean that the beer would not be as clear as it could be.

Yeah...I remember seeing a slight sizzle on the side of the pan as I was mixing it. Anyway...my last 3 beers had gelatin in them and I really like using it.

Latest posts

Back