Black Opal IPA - meh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
Had lunch at the McMenamins Thompson Brewery in Salem today. They have a dark IPA on tap called Black Opal IPA. As far as I could tell it was nothing more than a heavy-citrus IPA that had been darken with something that contributed no flavor whatsoever. Granted, I had just finished a pulled pork sandwich with a stout/BBQ sauce and a porter, but I really could not find any dark grain flavor. I'm certain my taste-buds were not fried at that point, because I had a Workingman's Red for dessert and that was fine.

Someone will get this right. Cascades and burnt coffee don't play well together. The best efforts that I've tasted so far have used earthy hops and de-husked dark grains.

'I haven't had a dark/black IPA I have liked yet. Can't stand Laughing Dog's black IPA... or anything else they make.

While on the subject of IPA's, what would you rank as the better ones to try on my next trip to Newport/Florence? Are Ninkasi's Domination and Tricerahops nice? I will be going through Eugene, rather than Salem. Your recommendations about Pelican, Siletz, etc. from last year were spot-on.

Thanks.

I haven't had a a dark IPA I have liked either. Oh by the way Ninkasi rocks probably some of the best beer around IMHO. Pelican is good but Ninkasi makes a great IPA the Total Domination and Tricerahops is awesome especially on tap, I like their Believer double red and Oatis oatmeal stout as well. Never been too impressed with McMenamins beers they always have a slightly sour off flavor, I have found that their beer is very inconsistent, lately Thompson's has had a rotating tap with a Ninkasi beer on it so I've been happy regardless.

Never had the 11th... love the 12th (stout).

Glad to hear about Ninkasi... I will stop. Looks like the brewery only sells 5-gallons (3 cases) minimum. I may have to hit the groceries. Hopefully I can find 6 or so of each of the IPA's.

One of the early homebrews I made was the Blackened Brutal Bitter from morebeer.com. It's John Maier from Rogue's recipe and it was damn good. While not called an IPA, it was pretty much hopped as such, with mostly Newport. I don't know that there can really be a true Black IPA as I think they're pretty much categorized as Strong Ale. But I'm not a style nazi, if it's good I drink it.

I just picked up a bomber of Southern Tier Iniquity, which they call a Black Imperial IPA, but haven't tried it yet.

Back