So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday's brew day got cancelled due to child care situation.... and of course saturday morning was jam packed with stuff.

So i just mashed in for a rare PM brew!

Yoopers oatmeal stout (low oxygen version). It never fails to be a huge pain in the ass to mash. Starting to come to the realization that the blichmann false bottom's Achilles heal is flaked anything (they get stuck sideways in the louvers). Luckily the sight glass is a good indication of pressure across the grain bed, and the rotameter helps tweak the flows ever so slightly.

Snuck in a Bo Pils Partial mash while the toddler took a 3.5 hour nap. Poor guy has been sick all week he needed the rest and daddy needed the beer.

I like to keep an extract or partial mash on hand for those let’s try to squeeze in a brew today moments. I buy them when they are super cheap on sale.

Yesterday I rid the world of a 11l carboy. I usually brew in buckets but a friend wanted a brew done for a prop in a movie, so I borrowed a carboy from a clubmate. The brew and the filming went well, carboy obviously had a death wish and during cleaning it jumped out of my hands onto the porcelain sink. Boom.

Got back into my normal routine today with a red IPA with Nelson Sauvin, brewing in a nice safe plastic bucket.

Bugger.jpg

I planned a brew day buy since I brew outside and a tropical storm is passing over my plans have been delayed.

My last 3 or 4 brewing weekends have gotten cancelled. Wife is going out of town this weekend and will be gone for a week and a half. I have almost 100 pounds of malt in the basement, and I'm planning to fill all my fermenters while she's gone (including brewing on weeknights) then I'll be caught back up for the year, and I'll get to focus on my processes.

First beer will be a nice light Australian bitter, next will be something with a little more chew, like a Biere de garde or a dubbel. Or one of each :) Then this year's Christmas porter...

Currently mashing my annual BBA RIS I brew each fall. This is my third year brewing this, and I'm planning on doing a vertical next year and seeing how they compare to one another. This year's batch will have vanilla beans added to the secondary along with a nicely charred bourbon barrel stave. 3 gal batch, shooting for somewhere in the 11-12% abv range.

Currently sparging a gumball head clone. Excited for this one! After that is in the fermenter, I'm going to start a berliner wiesse and kettle sour it and then kill off the lacto tomorrow night.

Gonna brew a batch of BCS Trigo Oscura dunkelweizen. The odd part is SWMBO demanded I brew a batch in time for Thanksgiving as our kids are coming to visit :mug:

Did a robust porter yesterday. That makes four weekends in a row for brewing which is great, but I've found that more than four weeks in a row is too much. Taking a break for a little while.

Didn’t brew, but I broke down all the valves. Narly funk in the ball valves. Welded some heat dams on the rig. Getting ready for the 4 weeks in a row myself. I pickup the new 20 cu ft ferment freezer Wed. Then I’ll be back in business.

About to transfer to the fermentor a pale ale using only Kinderbrook Creek Hop Farms 2017 Cascade hops. Kinderbrook Creek is a NYS farm and owner Michelle is a member here who joined earlier this year and made their first homebrew.

Really excited about using locally grown hops from a harvest I had been following all year long. I swear she vacuumed sealed the hops in her kitchen just to accommodate my small order. Makes this brew that more personal

Planned brew day last weekend cancelled due to weather, so I've been looking forward to today all week! After taking my daughter to her cello lesson and getting dinner started in crockpot, let kids know that their Dad is the one to go to for anything, and I am enjoying an afternoon brewing outside. Making a very simple pale ale now, halfway through the boil.

Brewed a 12 dogs of Christmas clone, brewed it a few years back and it was a fantastic beer, can’t wait to see how it turns out this time.

My LHBS is having an Octoberfest celebration and tasting Saturday. Several members of our homebrew club are taking our brewing gear to the store to brew.

I'm going to be brewing for the first time using an old propane bayou burner with a single keggle using BIAB. I've done 3 BIAB batches at home using part of my single-tier 3-vessel HERMS system but taking brewing on the road for the first time should be an interesting challenge.

I just hope I don't forget something critical as it is a 30 minute drive from my house to the store.

EDIT: Even after that admonishment I forgot the wall wort that powers my DC pump. I remembered the pump but forgot to bring it's power plug; crap.

Luckily I was brewing at a homebrew store and the owner was kind enough to let me borrow his Chugger pump which he uses for a display pump. It was the first time it had been used in 5 years but it worked great thank goodness.

There ended up being only two club members who brewed but I got a late start and didn't arrive until 10 whereas my buddy who also brewed got there at 8 plus he'd already mashed his grain at home before arriving.

He was through an hour and a half after I got there so I brewed solo for about 3 1/2 hours. It was still fun as several club member came and hung out and there were a bunch of other brewers and non-brewers who wandered over and wanted to talk about what I was brewing (a classic American pre-prohibition lager fwiw).

Creating a batch to celebrate the completion of a project at work and share it with the crew. Given the time to completion, I chose a pale.

Put the recipe together two hours ago from items I have in stores

5.75 gallon batch, 5.9% abv, 35 IBU, 6.9 SRM

10.5 lb Golden Promise
1.0 lb Avangard Munich
0.5 lb Caramunich (40L)
0.5 lb Carapils

0.4 oz Apollo @ 60

0.5 oz Motueka @ 20
0.3 oz Mosaic @ 20

1.0 oz Motueka @ 2
0.5 oz Mosaic @2

Flame out
0.5 oz Comet (just using it up)

Hop Stand for 20 min @ 160°F
1.5 oz Motueka
1.2 oz Mosaic

Dryhop TBD

Yeast is resurected WY1056 and doing well already.

Water built (thanks Mr. Brungard) and waiting to find some crushed grain.......

Friend I was teaching to brew couldn't make it Thursday, Friday and today had extreme winds kicking up a ton of dust then a line of storms rolled through mid afternoon(garden hose + thunderstorm = bad idea) so brewing tomorrow and doing a lesson. She may take up extract brewing but once the wort is in the brew kettle procedure is the same for all grain and extract! Plus I can explain how doing a mini mash of specialty grains can really customize an extract beer and the principle is the same as my 20.25 pound mash! She lives 45 minutes away and misses my beer(they moved 2 months ago). I suspect she will go all grain down the road once she gains confidence!

Trying to get together a simple IPA or APA recipe now! Hopefully have 5.5 gallons in the fermenter this evening.

Brewing an Imperial Pumpkin Ale. Wanted to brew sooner but my 10G fermenter just got freed up. Part of my Christmas trilogy.

Mad Elf clone
Imperial Pumpkin
Mango IIIPA

Just finished my celebration pale. Gotta love what Munich does to the color....

Apollo Motueka Mosaic Pale! Yum....

IMG_20171022_122659.jpg

Brewed Papazian's Silver Dollar Porter, for the umpteenth time. Should be ready by Thanksgiving.

Back