The HBS Experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
I love my visits to the HBS. It's like a clubhouse.

Today I went there with a 22 of my Caramel Vanilla because I wanted some objective opinions. The guys who usually work on weekends weren't there, but there was someone new and another customer with a 22 of his beer (a 2 year old pumpkin).

They both were wowwed by the C-V. Another customer came in and tried and he was wowwed too. Made me feel good to see their faces light up after taking the first sip.

The pumpkin was awesome. Highly hopped, which provided a dry after-taste. The pumpkin and spices were mellow and provided a nice orange hue.

The HBS ALWAYS has 3-4 kegs on tap, so I tried a Habanero which was so much different than I had expected. The heat was absent and there was just this nice smoked pepper flavor that was almost like a Chiplotle. They double as a homegrow shop and have a homegrow display room so their peppers are fresh (and free for anyone who wants a couple).

I also tried some home-made Sprecher rootbeer which had a thick, creamy head and yummy sweet flavor. I might make a rootbeer next.

Right before I checked out I sampled their stout. It was rich, dark, chocolatey and had a thick, creamy, dark head on it. Made me all the more excited to try my stout.

I love the HBS. People walk in, we all discuss our upcoming project, sample each others trophy beers, buy our stuff and go home to brew up our next batch so we can share it with our friends and strangers. It's a feeling of belonging, of making someone's day a little better and making a new friend. There are no obligations and no expectations. No one's upset if you don't bring a sampler and their more than happy to give their away along with any needed advice or tips.

Man, what a great hobby.

Sounds like a great shop!

My LHBS is friendly, but very confined (only 140 sq feet!). No tasting of other peoples brew, but the proprieter has asked me to bring in my brews to taste if I have problems so that she can help / give advice.

Cool shop. Mine is relaxed but more business like than what your describing. They don't "got beer".

Sounds good.

My nearest is passionate aboutr beer and 30 years in the making. But there stock level is poor and expensive. They only stock 3kg bags of grain and if I want to order 25kg it's £33 compared to ther more usuall £25.

I like to support the local store but when it comes down to it I'm not going to throw money away. There are 2 much better stores another 10 minutes drive further.

The Oak Barrel in Berekley, CA is like that. Homer almost always has some of his homebrew in the kegger. Everyone working there knows homebrewing. They have brewing parties and BBQs. Haven't found a place like that in Oregon. The odd part of it is, the place I go to in Corvallis is owned and staffed by people that are also in one of the local homebrew clubs. They're rather stiff & professional about everything. I suspect it's because they're as much or more of a retail wine store. Even winos who make their own seem to be VERY serious about the process.

my HBS, DeFalco's in Houston, TX) is kinda like that too. nice clean shop, fresh ingredients, and usually busy. the guy's are very knowledgable (Scott Birdwell = owner). Scott writes a colum in the Southwest Brewing News paper. They are real involved with the Dixie Cup, Sanint Arnold's Brewing Co., etc. I was there Thursday and they had 4 beers on tap. Wee Sheepf***er Scotch Ale, Sassion, Octoberfest, and i cant remeber the other. good brews, good people. i'm like a kid in a candy store when i go!
i agree cheesefood. great hobby to be apart of.

DeRoux's Broux said:
my HBS, DeFalco's in Houston, TX) is kinda like that too. nice clean shop, fresh ingredients, and usually busy. the guy's are very knowledgable (Scott Birdwell = owner). Scott writes a colum in the Southwest Brewing News paper. They are real involved with the Dixie Cup, Sanint Arnold's Brewing Co., etc. I was there Thursday and they had 4 beers on tap. Wee Sheepf***er Scotch Ale, Sassion, Octoberfest, and i cant remeber the other. good brews, good people. i'm like a kid in a candy store when i go!
i agree cheesefood. great hobby to be apart of.
I didn't know they had samples on tap! I guess I ought to talk to them more when I'm in there, and quit being in such a hurry.

El Pistolero said:
I didn't know they had samples on tap! I guess I ought to talk to them more when I'm in there, and quit being in such a hurry.

Me neither!

I've only been there twice so far, but now that I think about it, there were some kegs at the back of the store. D'oh! I could've sampled some.

El Pistolero said:

Relax, don't hurry, and try their homebrew.

no kidding! they are right next to the hops fridge, across from the liquid extract drums. they have little plastic cups sitting on the keggerator. they usually have at least 2 to sample. i've never had a bad one......

i wish i had a HBS like that. mine is in the tasing room of a brewery, so they got kegs to drink but you gotta pay for them, and the selection is really bad and overpriced. this is why i order from Austin HBS online, cheaper and so much more selection. but i try tyo support my LHBS by at least buying caps, grain bags, yeast sometimes from. cant wait to go to the AustinHBS shop when I'm there over christmas tthough.

I know I don't get the BEST prices, but we've discussed what we're paying and I know I'm getting fair prices for non-online purchases.

If any of you are ever in my neck, let's meet up there. I'll bring a bottle of mine, you bring a bottle of yours and we'll try theirs. I've got 5 types of beer in various stages so I'm not going to show up empty handed!

They told me that they use the ingredients that are just about ready to expire, like old yeast, hops and malts and it's made expressly for customers and staff to enjoy.

Another thing I really like is that they let you use their scales and they have a malt-crusher for customers to use. They'll even give you garbage bags to grind into. If they have the heat-sealer plugged in, they'll even re-seal your bags for you.

The kindness of the shop justifies the extra buck I'll pay for a 3 pound bag of DME. I'd feel guilty ordering anything online that I know they stock.

Cheesefood said:
The kindness of the shop justifies the extra buck I'll pay for a 3 pound bag of DME. I'd feel guilty ordering anything online that I know they stock.
If it was an extra buck I'd buy that stuff from my LHBS, but it's an extra $5 over northern brewer for me, so I buy my grains, yeast, and equipment locally, but I get DME from NB. That's probably why they didn't tell me about the samples. :D

You've got a good thing there, I'm jealous. My LHBS is a good 30 minutes away by train and they are way over priced; anywhere from twice the going rate in the US to five times for hops and the like. Yep, $80 carboys, $5 for an ounce of pellet hops, $15 for a hydrometer. In emergencies I'd be able to rationalize paying for it, but they're never open. Never. Open 10-5:30, Mon-Fri, closed all national holidays. I order from the states and have it shipped and it is cheaper; wait is killing me. I ordered a few boxes of ingredients at the beginning of October, should be here next week.
I am jealous, enjoy the good thing you've got, ba$tards. ;)

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to throw my oh-two in...

I envy you mightily Cheese... down here, smack in the middle of the state, there's NOTHING... and I mean NOTHING. I could drive to Chambana, but it's an hour by the time is all said and done, Chicago is 2 and a half, St. Louis is 2... I haven't really checked out Bloomington, but there again, basically almost an hour... and with gas doing the profit dance for the oil companies, hell I already drive 70 miles a day for work. That'll be enuf of that Thank You...

So, basically I'm B#*%ching because I don't have a LHBS... So, it's online I buy I guess...

If I did have one I wish it was like yours tho :D ....

And for the record, I bought my gear 9 yrs ago from a guy here in town out of his garage. No idea if he's even still around.

It's a Hombrew Wasteland... (pete townshend nods his head)

Oh that's right, it IS Central Illinois.... :drunk:

Ize

Back