It's getting dark and my beer is at 80 degrees...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm747

Reaction score
Should I try to force cool it? I have a wort chiller in there but it's not chilling quick enough and I don't want to turn lights on because of the bugs.

Any ideas?

:)

Tim

80 is where I chill too usually anyway. You will cool a bit more when you rack to the fermenter. RDWHAHB.

Edit: Assuming you are using ale yeast.

Agreed. Take it inside and let it cool for a few hours and pitch before bed. It will be fine.

You don't have to pitch yeast immediately after racking to the carboy. Wouldn't want to wait too long, but you can fill the bathtub with cold water and put the carboy in there to bring the temp doen further. I always try to get to my target fermentation temperature before pitching, but I know others will pitch at 80.

Move the IC inside the wort as cold water is running through it. That will help you to cool the wort faster. Using this method, I've chilled ~5 gallons of boiling wort to <70F in about 10-12 minutes...

I left the wort in the bucket overnight to be cooled then pitched yeast in the next morning. The beer turned out just fine.

Back