Have Bottled, But ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FirstTimer1

Reaction score
Hello everyone, first timer here! Exciting times!

I bottled my first batch (hopefully not my last) 10 days ago and so this is where my question comes in. I am working off a brew kit, felt it was a safe way to start seeing as I haven't really had any experience in this whole Home Brewing Scene. The directions stated that after bottling I let sit in a dark space ranging from 60-70 degrees (F) and this I did, obviously I'm a little anxious to just jump right in and taste it. Put a couple in the fridge to let sit for the day, might try one later if I run out of beer - but as I am looking around here and other sites I see people saying things like "I usually let my beer sit for 2 weeks (some even say 3 weeks! :drunk:) before fridging and or moving to the basement.

I'm beginning to think that 10 days isn't really a long enough time, but like I said I might just try one today, maybe another tomorrow and see what is happening.

Should I be able to tell if the beer needs a bit more time? If I should forget about it for another week or two I can definitely do that, but as stated I'm just so tempted to at least try one! Just want to make sure everything was moving along properly.

How long do you let the beer sit before moving to the fridge?
Also, after the said 10 days should I move my beers to the basement where it is a bit cooler, not by a whole lot but it is 'cellar cold' if you will (hope that makes sense) and is an older style basement, not really all done up so if the temp were to drastically fluctuate the effects would be noticeable in the basement. Or would I want to keep the brew located in a warmer/darker area as to allow it to "mature" if it needed too. Would a drop in like, 10-15 degrees (F) just prevent the beer from maturing in the bottles?

Sorry for rambling on, but advice/suggestions/personal opinions would be greatly appreciated.

:mug:

i find myself in the same situation after almost every batch... but what i have come to find is that waiting is worth it. I have been pretty upset after prematurely cracking one open and it not tasting how i wanted. Its worth the wait. The initial rest at 60-70 degrees is to allow carbonation, after that i dont think it matters if it is refrigerated or room temp (someone please correct me if im wrong).

But waiting is worth it in most cases, but then again cracking one open just to get a taste of what is to come wont hurt. enjoy! :mug:

IMHO leave them bottled in a warm place, 70F or so, for three weeks. Bottle carbing and conditioning takes time. It can take several weeks for the yeats to carb. the beer up, cooling it much below 70F will slow, or stall this process.

It's your first homebrew. PLEASE drink one tonight. Then drink another next week and another in 2 weeks and you can see for yourself how they improve with a little extra time in the bottle.

enjoy!:mug:

I am in the exact same situation, drank my first at 10 days in the bottle and loved it, and can't wait to see whether/how it changes over the next few weeks!

DRINK IT NOW!

Or you can just invest in a kegging system and carb it in 24 hours... you can do that too.

Wow, ok!

Thanks everyone!

I think I will try one tonight and see where it stands, think it makes sense to then try another after another week or so, maybe a business week. hah I just want to try it and see where it's at, ya know?

In the name of research I will test one out and see what's good while allowing the other 50 bottles to sit in the closet.

Thanks again everyone! Loving this site!

It's your first homebrew. PLEASE drink one tonight. Then drink another next week and another in 2 weeks and you can see for yourself how they improve with a little extra time in the bottle.

+1. IMO helps you see what your beer is and can be.

3 weeks@ 70, 3 weeks @ 70, Three Weeks @ 70

Read this...

Revvy's Blog; Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.
This for very batch after this one

This for your first batch. I mean c'mon, it's exciting! Crack one and drink it. It most likely won't be carbonated and it won't be close to as good as it will be, but it's not going to hurt anything and oh yeah, did I mention how exciting that first bottle is!

+1 on trying one now - but don't wory if it doesn't taste right yet.

I tried one from my first batch last week after 1 week in the bottle - not much head and it didn't taste too great. Just opened another one tonight after 2 weeks in the bottle and it is MUCH BETTER. Better head and the taste and mellowed a bunch. I believe it is going to be good.

Well guys, cheers on the suggestions...tried 2 - well, technically 1.5 - a buddy stopped by and only wanted to try a bit. He has some experience in the field and a while ago I tried a couple of his beers (might have been a premature testing) but they were really bubbly. Something I was worrying about but was actually not an issue here. The beer is clearly on the right path, exactly what I needed to convince myself that things were heading in the right direction.

Will give another try next week, but am definitely on the right path. It can only get better.

But I'll be real, hell, if I had to sit and drink these beers as it were for tonight - like 9 to 12 of these I'd still be satisfied. What a wonderful experience this has all been. Wow. There was a decent head, it wasn't dissipating too quickly or anything, but it obviously wasn't where it should be. Flavor wise it was a little subtle, but definitely there. I mean, it was there. Daaayum - I won't lie, I'm an optimist at heart but I wasn't keeping my hopes too high seeing as it was the first brew. But sheeeeeit, the skies were looking clear.

Back to muh Spaten Optimator, cheers everyone.

:drunk:

Back