pre-boil volume/water addition question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thughes

Reaction score
Brewing up BierMuncher's Cream of 3 crops later today and have a question. I've done my due diligence (searched the forums) but could not find an answer to my question.

I'm limited to a 7.75 gal brew pot (converted 1/4 keg). I am shooting for 5.5 gal in the primary. I lose @ 2 quarts to the kettle/equipment (no drain valve; have to siphon into the primary) and @ 1.5 gal per hour to the boil. Even if I start with a pre-boil volume of 7 gallons, which leaves a very good chance of a messy boil-over with such a small headspace, after 90 minutes I end up with 4.25 siphoned into the primary (1.5/hr boil loss x 1.5 hrs + .5 kettle loss = 2.75 gallons).

My question is this: Is it better to add small volumes of water to the brewpot during the boil so that I end up with 6 gallons at flame-out or should I just top off the primary with 1.25 gallons of water to bring things up to the 5.5 target? Or does it really matter which way I do it?

I always added the required amount to the primary. Also, adding water to the boil can screw up your hop timing due to loss of boil, etc. Even if you added boiling water, I think it's a lot of work for minimal gain. - Dwain

Back