Words and phrases I hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"old skewl" The kids think this is anything over 5 years old.

white water- The corporate talking heads were saying that last year at the National Sales Meeting. Once the CEO used that term, every other blathering idiot from corporate was throwing that into their speech. Eventually a friend and I decided to play a drinking game with the word, of course all we had to drink was water, but it was fun.

Another word I hate is "Seriously"
My buddy's wife says it every third word. I want to bury my fist in her mouth so bad sometimes.

I made it to page 9 and decided that there are a bunch of word sensitive people out there. and to make it even funnier to me, none of it will ever go away. it will most likely get used more because people now know what words & phrases irritate you. I applaud your bravery, good people.

ebonics
White people that speak ebonics
spanglish
White people that speak spanglish

The fact that ebonics and spanglish have to be capitalized or your spell checker says they are spelled wrong, granting them legitimacy.

I don't know if it's been said already, but I absolutely, positively HATE it when people put the "$" sign AFTER the number. As in, "i so totally got it for 5$!" I know that phonetically the phrase is spoken that way, but we're typing. Unfortunately it is becoming so commonplace that I see it on signs now (usually outside fast food joints, go figure.)

Oh, and "prolly."

Yes, it does upset me, because it signifies a breakdown in education, and a lack of people making a correction.

ruralbrew said:
ebonics
spanglish

The fact that ebonics and spanglish have to be capitalized or your spell checker says they are spelled wrong, granting them legitimacy.

Actually it isn't to grant legitimacy but because in English we capitalize proper nouns.

ebonics
spanglish

Trempealeau County, Wisconsin. 0.13% percent African American, 0.89% Latino. I may be able to imagine why Ebonics and Spanglish might annoy you.

Unecessary abbreviations are very annoying. Some rap song I heard part of says 'cray' and later I heard somebody else say it. I asked what they meant and they said it is short for 'crazy'. Definitely dumbed down to true dumbness...

I like 'breaky' mostly because Lightning McQueen says it on Cars, and I like that movie and so do my kids, and every Saturday when I make pancakes and eggs I ask if they are ready for 'breaky'.

HoppyDaze said:
Pregger for pregnant. So stupid

Yes! Used in a sentence - Meggers is preggers. So damn stupid. Also "Noms", "Nommers" or "Nummers" appear in the vocabulary of people who say that. I want to imprison and deprive of food people who say those words.

Also, "Va-jay-jay".

Additionally, "Right?" or "I know right?" (IKR?)

Did she say the letters or pronounce it as a word, like 'ee-voo? Dumb.

I heard somebody say 'prego' for pregnant and thought of pasta sauce... hm...

Are there any names for 'beer' that suck? I like saying different things...

brew
brewski
cold one

She says the letters every time.The thing is, it really caught on. So much so, that I may have just offended a number of my fellow brewers. :eek:

Irregardless. Can't believe it took this long and no one said it. Also my stupid auto correct recognizes that word.

"Got Jethro Tull ?" .....oh wait a minute thats the vinyl sticker I have on the back of my car:)

EVOO.. it rocks

But saying 'extra virgin olive oil' isn't all that hard. First world problems people.

JoeyChopps said:
Irregardless. Can't believe it took this long and no one said it. Also my stupid auto correct recognizes that word.

I got into it with someone about this just today. I got about halfway into my explanation of the prefix ir- and the suffix -less having the same connotation and being redundant when used in the same word before I realized that I was speaking to a stupid person.

Oh, man I forgot how much I hate that!

My wife and I used to get annoyed by Rachel Ray's insistence on saying 'EVOO' for extra virgin olive oil. I mean, really, just say olive oil.

Ah, but only EVOO is actually worthy of being used. There are plenty of other olive oils out there, some with very little actual olive oil in them. So when you use the good stuff (EVOO) you need to announce it to all present. :D

By the way, the ONLY olive oil I'll use is the extra virgin. Standard virgins just can't handle me. They need to be EXTRA virgins. :eek: :D I also use it in almost everything I cook. It's that or buttah. Only things I don't use either of those in are things like brownies where the flavor of great olive oil just doesn't make sense.

I got into it with someone about this just today. I got about halfway into my explanation of the prefix ir- and the suffix -less having the same connotation and being redundant when used in the same word before I realized that I was speaking to a stupid person.

Most of us are pretty stupid. Irregardless off what you think.

It has been three years since I read How to Brew and I'm just starting today, FML. But I like this forum and I'll have some homebrew'd brew in a few weeks, FTW.

How long were you talking before you realized you might as well have been talking to a stone wall?? :D

EVOO.. it rocks

But saying 'extra virgin olive oil' isn't all that hard. First world problems people.

Of course Dan, these are just petty annoyances that I find amusing.

I just timed myself saying EVOO and extra virgin olive oil and it turns out that it takes about a half a second longer to prevent people from scratching their heads. Of course, you could say it once and then just say oil since everyone knows what you mean at that point.

She also substitutes sandwich with 'sammy' and uses the expression 'yum-o'. I could go on but I'll spare you.

Of course Dan, these are just petty annoyances that I find amusing.

I just timed myself saying EVOO and extra virgin olive oil and it turns out that it takes about a half a second longer to prevent people from scratching their heads. Of course, you could say it once and then just say oil since everyone knows what you mean at that point.

She also substitutes sandwich with 'sammy' and uses the expression 'yum-o'. I could go on but I'll spare you.

So what? Why with all the problems in life would we be worried about expressions? I'm not preaching, just wondering. I understand this thread is lighthearted and I shouldn't take it out of context.

There's just so much other stuff to get upset about, how people speak is not one of them.

I'm a hypocritical a$$ by the way.

bottlebomber said:
Yes! Used in a sentence - Meggers is preggers. So damn stupid. Also "Noms", "Nommers" or "Nummers" appear in the vocabulary of people who say that. I want to imprison and deprive of food people who say those words.

Also, "Va-jay-jay".

Additionally, "Right?" or "I know right?" (IKR?)

YES!!!! I hate preggers and Nom and all the variations. Also yummers, samich instead of sandwich, prolly instead of probably and I could go on and on.

WesleyS said:
YES!!!! I hate preggers and Nom and all the variations. Also yummers, samich instead of sandwich, prolly instead of probably and I could go on and on.

Yes, samich is also right there. This, however, was one time that I found "nom" to be acceptable, so I guess it's also a matter of context.

image-1730572146.jpg

So what? Why with all the problems in life would we be worried about expressions? I'm not preaching, just wondering. I understand this thread is lighthearted and I shouldn't take it out of context.

There's just so much other stuff to get upset about, how people speak is not one of them.

I'm a hypocritical a$$ by the way.[/

Fiscal cliffs was one of my words ......and I am serious. If I hear it again I might have a stroke. Cheers guys. I hate bananas too! :ban:

I'm a hypocritical a$$ by the way.[/

Fiscal cliffs was one of my words ......and I am serious. If I hear it again I might have a stroke. Cheers guys. I hate bananas too! :ban:

To help you get over your dilemma. Hit it head on!
:ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban:

I'm a hypocritical a$$ by the way.

Fiscal cliff... You stroke-out yet?? :eek: :D

I've not been watching the news (or any tv) lately...

congrats
"because racecar" (car guys will get this. car nerds will not)
jamesons instead of jameson
victoria's secrets instead of voctoria's secret (**** drives me nuts)

"John" or "Jon" or "Jaun" however the hell it is spelled.

Mostly used around Philly and PA people.

Example 1. "Look at that john" (when referring to anything, a person, a car, an item of sorts)

Example 2. "This John sucks, I'm outta here" (when referring to a boring place or situation)

you get the idea, usually put in the place of a noun.

can't fvcking stand it

I've lived in PA for the past 28 years, and not once have I heard this. Kinda confused.

Back