Another yeast washing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumbaa

I prefer 23383
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK
I collected my yeast from the carboy and I rinsed it once so far. Durring the first rinse I got rid of stuff that was obviously trub but what I have left is still broken down into 3 levels . . . .
2086-yeast.jpg

Level 1 is mainly water and beer with some yeast that hasnt settled out yet
Level 2 is very "particulate or grainy" no clue WTF it is
Level 3 is pretty viscus and is what I would assume to be yeast . . .

Am I right here in thinking this is all the stuff I want to keep or is there more here I want to get rid of?

Am I right in my assumptions on what each level is?

WTF is level 2?

I plan on rinsing it anther time or 2 befor I break it up into freezeable amounts and keep the rest for the upcoming Holy Hell

Pumbaa said:
OK
I collected my yeast from the carboy and I rinsed it once so far. Durring the first rinse I got rid of stuff that was obviously trub but what I have left is still broken down into 3 levels . . . .
2086-yeast.jpg

Level 1 is mainly water and beer with some yeast that hasnt settled out yet
Level 2 is very "particulate or grainy" no clue WTF it is
Level 3 is pretty viscus and is what I would assume to be yeast . . .

Am I right here in thinking this is all the stuff I want to keep or is there more here I want to get rid of?

Am I right in my assumptions on what each level is?

WTF is level 2?

I plan on rinsing it anther time or 2 befor I break it up into freezeable amounts and keep the rest for the upcoming Holy Hell

I have no idea what is in level 2. When I do it, I save level 1. I would pour that off into one-pint Mason jars. Later on the yeast that is in suspension will settle out, and that's what I use for my starters. I don't freeze it, though- I've keep itin the fridge indefinitely.

My technique is similar to ablrbrau's, but as long as level 3 is homogenous, that's what I really want. Level 1 has yeast in suspension, level 2 is a mystery, and level 3 looks like yeast that has settled out of suspension. Level 3 is good to save because you are getting the most flocculant yeast.

Here's what I would do with your jar:
Refrigerate it for a few days and see if there is any change. If you still have three distinct layers, pour off the first two, and make a starter with the third. Let the starter go for a day or two, then refrigerate it to let the yeast settle. Save the results.

KK didnt thnk I wanted level 2. Since I posted it's settled out even more so I'll dump off level 1 and 2, keep 3 and go get more test tubes cuz 6 arent going to cut it . . . thats about 1 cup of rogue pacman yeast

Back