Hello Nub Here Has a question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabe91281

Reaction score
Hello Brewers,

I had a quick ( I hope lol) question for anyone out there. I just finished a batch of Imperial IPA and got her in the bottles hoping for the best! (Wish me luck!)
My question is this:
I brewed an English Brown Ale from Brewers Best. I followed all directions. I left it in the primary for 7 days (after about 1 1/2 days I had no bubling). I just transfered this to a secondary carboy tonight. (This is my second batch so I am basing everything on my first which was an IPA so I may be off) however when transfering I noticed that it had a different smell...not as plesant as the IPA. I also took an OG reading and I had no floating. Im really worried that this is a bad batch however I may be just overthinking this.
I am going to let this sit in the secondary for about two weeks. I just want to make sure that Im ok. What do you guys think?

So after about 1 and 1/2 days you stopped noticing airlock activity? That sounds normal for lower abv beers. Also it shouldn't smell like an ipa so I think you are probably ok there. And you said you took a gravity reading and didn't see any floating? At what point in the fermentation process did this happen? If it was after the 7 days, the gravity should be in the 1.010-1.015 range for a low abv beer. If it wasn't floating at all make sure you have enough of a sample in your grad cylinder. I think your ok duder. Cheers! RDWHAHB!

thanks buddy I bet your correct I don't think I had enough for a correct reading. I think I just needed to hear that I'm prob ok from somebody other then my wife lol. Thanks for the response. I'll let you know how it turns out! Cheers!

When the bubbling stopped 1.5 days in,only initial fermentation was done. After that,it'll slowly,uneventfully creep down to FG. You should've left it in primary. Bubbling stopping or being non existent is no indication the beer's done. The yeasties have there own time table that doesn't always coincide with instructions or desires.

Back