Uh Oh, Cracked CARBOY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckley28

Reaction score
So I just got done brewing a Pale a couple hours ago and went to check the temps in my ferm chamber. I noticed a huge crack at the top of my carboy. Oh crap, is the first thought. Now it's only been in the carboy for about 4 hours so I went ahead and transferred it to an old trusty plastic bucket equipped with a lid and a stopper so I'm hoping all is OK. My concern is will the transfer effect the ferm process? If I don't see any ferm activity can I re-pitch my yeast so I get what I'm looking for? If yes, when should I do it, a couple days, a week, etc?

When you transferred to your bucket the brew might have got a little more oxygenated, which would be a good thing :ban: as it sounds like it's still in the lag phaze. Assuming, of course, that your bucket was sanitized you shouldn't have any problem. I'd say give it 72 hours, before you start thinking of re-pitching any new yeast, to see if it kicks off as it is.

Sanitized big time, so no problem there. We'll wait and see. Thanks.
One other thing kind of off subject a tad but, due to the friggin extended summer heat here in NorCal (was 102 today) I was unable to get my brew chilled to the standard 74 degrees I like to have it at from kettle to carboy before pitching yeast. I think I was around 80 even w/ the use of the chill plate. Anyone think this will effect yeast activity?

If anything that would encourage fermentation to start quicker, I'd have thought. Also, depending on the yeast, once you see some action you'll want to try and get the wort down in the yeast's optimal temp. range as quick as possible.

Got to laugh...so first off no harm to anything. That transferred brew starting form like 2 hours after transfer. So much so that it was seeping out thought the airlock. Had to use the tube into water method to allow for the gases to escape. Actually this happened on another one too. Temp is set exactly at 68 and holding perfect. This is the first time I had multiple brews going this crazy. I have four in total (2 Pales, a pumpkin spiced and a Xmas spiced). Needless to say all of them are going nuts with some outstanding activity.
Thanks for the advice. If these brews are half as good as what I'm seeing, we're in for some tasty treats.

Have you been pitching your yeast at around 80 for all of these brews? I ask this because I was doing this consistently a few months back and I was also getting intense out of control fermentation's every time. I also in my head assumed a strong hefty crazy blow off fermentation was a good thing. But as I began to notice off flavors such as fussels (sp?) and others related to hot fermentation, I started to wait until my carboy has crashed to about 65 and then pitch and hold my temps there (except belgian). Not only have my fermentation's been noticeably slower and have less krausen/blow off, I have also noticed that my beers taste much cleaner.

No this is the first time I've ever pitched at or around 78/80 degrees. I usually have made it a habbit of pitching at no more than 74 and had good success (normal activity). On these two, however, I've seen exactly what you mentioned so I would say that it def has to do with the temp. Note to self I suppose, wait until proper temp is reached...or my target or typical temp is reached. I suppose it wouldnt be a bad idea to come from kettle to carboy at whatever temp I can get it down to and wait to pitch. Another note to self. Its been hot as hell these past weeks here in NorCal (extended summer) so the tap water out of the hose is roughly around 74 going through the chiller plate. You cant really do to much to get it lower other then an ice bath (totally out of the question) or wait. Using a 7.4CF freezer set at 68 for my ferm chamber at the moment so reaching ideal temp is nothing but an hour wait or so. We'll see how these taste. Hoping that the Pale & Xmas Ale isnt tweaked too much on taste.

Back