Dark brown head in homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tricky

Reaction score
I tried doing a search, but 'head' pulls up Dogfish-related threads.

What ingredients are most responsible for making dark brown heads in stouts? For example Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout has got a fairly dark head on it. I think it looks awesome. My stouts usually end up with a sand, light tan colored head at best. Is it black barley or black patent doing this?

both, it's more about the ammount than the type. 1# or more of very dark roasted malts in a 5 gallon batch should get you a ton of roasty flavors and that dark brown head you're looking for. I'm more of a medium-dark kind of brewer, maybe someone else can chime in as super-dark isn't my specialty.

With stouts, I am planning on incorperating some form of wheat (wether its flaked, chocolate, etc). Wheat help create and hold the head...especially in my recipe that calls for actualy chocolate nibs and coffee. Both contain oils that can destroy head

not really concerned about head retention, more curious about darkening the color.

Back