sanitize bottles night before?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Reaction score
i normally dont have time after work to bottle a batch, but tonight and tomorrow i'm a little more free. is it cool to sanitize bottles tonight and then let them sit 24 hours until tomorrow when i can fill and cap?

I always just toss them in the Washer the night before. I put them back in the cases and throw a cover on them, never had a problem even sitting out several days. If you think about it, the only real mechanism for contamination at that point is airborne, or if something falls in it.

thanks! now i can bottle and get it out of the way to brew this weekend! hate bottling, need to start kegging...

You don't dump sanitizer into each bottle?

Many modern dishwashers have a sanitize setting. It steams up like crazy inside, sort of like an autoclave, and it sanitizes just fine. DON'T USE ANY DETERGENT.

Just leave the door closed until you're ready to bottle and everything will be cool. I routinely set my bottles to sanitize the night before and have never had an issue.

What I do, and this is just me talking, is fill my dishwasher with bottles and run it at max heat settings with no detergent the night before, but flip the unlock latch to stop the cycle right before the high temp dry stage begins. The next day or whenever I want to bottle, I just re-close the latch to start the dishwasher back up. They've already been rinsed, and drip dried for however long, now they'll get a nice sanitizing blast of heat while I transfer brew to bottling bucket and sanitize my racking cane, etc.
also, I rent my house and my dishwasher is kind of a piece, but this works excellently. I have been working in restaurant kitchens for the past sixteen years and I know when something's clean enough to put consumables in.

Back