Could I have a poll about weevils please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poindexter

Reaction score
If you find "some" hatched weevils in your grain, would you:

A: Toss the grain and go on a rampage with iodophor
B: Consider a repeat trip to the LHBS
C: Shrug and give the yeast some extra nutrients

Searched, read all four hits on weevils.

They are hot side I can't see a few weevils doing any serious harm as far as like diseases, and any sack of grain is going to have weevil eggs anyway.

Will having "some" hatched weevils in the mash tun affect the flavor of the beer, and how many is "some"?

TIA,
Mr. yeast nutrifier

It's happened to me once... I saw them... then mashed them along with the grain... As far as I can tell, the beer tasted just the same as other batches.

I don't buy in bulk yet, so I've never had it happen to me BUT...

The USDA (or is it FDA, not sure...) allows for a certain amount of maggot in ground beef, and a certain number of rat droppings are allowed per pound of bread product.

We've (the collective "We" of humanity) dealt with weevils, bugs, molds and other beasties for thousands of years and we're just fine. Everything that comes out of your mash/steep will be boiled anyway so go for it.

I've never seen weevils in my grain but if I did I would probably just go ahead and use it. Unless there were so many I really got the creeps.

How long does it take for weevils to hatch, anyway?

Beerthoven said:
I've never seen weevils in my grain but if I did I would probably just go ahead and use it. Unless there were so many I really got the creeps.

How long does it take for weevils to hatch, anyway?

Maybe the poll could be"How many weevils does it take to give you the creeps?"

I would pick out a few and then brew an "Evil Weevil IPA".:mug:

I think the grain would have to be INFESTED with em before I would be bothered. If you are worried, just spray your grains down with some good old fashion Chlordane.

yes I AM joking.

Brewing Clamper said:
I suppose if there is more weevil matter than grain matter, I might think twice about brewing... I'll make a stew instead!

+1 its all perspective or perhaps a thick soup :D

I would get kida pissed if I opened up my grain storage and saw one of these in there! I would have to kick his a$$ for sitting around in my grains.

BollWeevil.jpg

Seriously though i would probably brew anyway.

Cheers

Evan! said:
Yeah, at what temp does e. coli die? Those things can carry e. coli. Seriously.

I think e. coli is killed by boiling. There was an e. coli-in-the-water scare here last year and we were instructed to boil all water for 3 minutes.

I'd still like to know how long I can keep grain sitting around before the little F'ers hatch.

There are weevil eggs in all grains and grain products you buy. If left long enough at a warm temperature, they will hatch. Grain beetles don't carry anything dangerous. Up until the last part of this century sifting weevils out of flour and grains was an everyday pratice. It is still an everyday pratice in many other countries. There is a very good reason your mothers and grandmothers used canisters for their dry goods, it helps control the little buggers. I'm sure you or someone you know has had weevils in their house brought in from the grocery store. Bisquick is notorious for it.

Okay, enough of my geekyness. I am not saying I want them in any of my grains and hope I don't find any. BTW, they float to the top when added to liquid and since I use a grain bag I really wouldn't know if I've steeped any in my beer. :D

I'd say that it would okay to mash those little buggers. But watch out if your grain has been already cracked (specialty grain). If they eat too much of it then you could lose some efficiency. To me they're as natural as anything else, but I'd prefer not having them in my mash. It's better to only use what you need and proper storage will help to keep them away.

helps head retention

I'd use up all the grain in storage and clean everything in that area before placing my next order.

Back