Racking off Kombucha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mermaid

Reaction score
So... I'm contemplating buying a healthy SCOBY and a 2 gallon glass jar and giving the whole 'boocha brewing thing a try again.

I don't really want to spend $$$ on a fancy jar with a spigot, when a big glass cookie/storage jar would work just as well.

However... the idea of brewing in a brew bucket w/spigot is also attractive... decisions decisions..

So...

If I go the route of buying a glass jar, how do you rack this stuff out of the jar and into bottles? Would I do the same thing I do with bottling homebrew (transfer to bottling bucket w/autosiphon, then to bottles)?

I would like to bottle it in some flip tops (adding some fruit juice and some sugar) and let it get fizzy.

Also, does the same rule apply for Kombucha as beer when it comes to leaving headspace in bottles?

Is plastic really bad for kombucha (because of the acidity of it)? I pretty much ferment all my beer in better bottles, so I'm not quite as scared of the plastic boogeyman - but yeah well.. kombucha is not beer

Back