temps when conditioning in bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PUD

Reaction score
i just bottled my summit ipa last week and the temps are getting warmer during the day. a week ago they were right under 70. now they're jumping up to 78 during the day. will this have a noticeable effect on my beer? god i miss central air!!

i'm a little worried since my last two brews turned out like poop :(

I don't think slightly warm temps will hurt much, but most folks will tell ya cooler is better. I'd put them in the basement if thats possible.

Good luck

I am about to move all my beer up to my computer room just because of the same reason. I have not had a batch go bad from the heat yet but its now just started to get warm here on the Eastern Shore of VA. But from all I have read just like others say the cooler the better.

You need a couple of weeks after bottling at warmer temps to ensure bottle fermentation. After that, as cold as you can get it (though, I've heard that extended aging at fridge-temps can dry out the bottle cap seals and they can fail...never happened to me, but I've heard about it.)

Chuck_p said:
I am about to move all my beer up to my computer room just because of the same reason. I have not had a batch go bad from the heat yet but its now just started to get warm here on the Eastern Shore of VA. But from all I have read just like others say the cooler the better.

Sorry, Chuck, gotta hit you up on this...your "location" below your avatar says "Vigrinia". Check yo self.

Evan! said:
You need a couple of weeks after bottling at warmer temps to ensure bottle fermentation. After that, as cold as you can get it (though, I've heard that extended aging at fridge-temps can dry out the bottle cap seals and they can fail...never happened to me, but I've heard about it.)

I'm going to pick this nit a little bit: I don't think that "as cold as you can get it" is really optimal under most circumstances.

Cold storage significantly retards the aging process of bottle or cask conditioned beers. (It's irrelevent for pastuerized commercial beers, which aren't really capable of "conditioning.") This could be good in some cases--if, say, your IPA is at it's perfect prime and you want to slow down the conditioning process to keep the hops flavor and aroma as stable as possible.

But usually I think we want our beers to condition, which would best happen at cool, not cold, temps--a dark location where the temps stay at, say, 60 or less, would probably be ideal.

cweston said:
I'm going to pick this nit a little bit: I don't think that "as cold as you can get it" is really optimal under most circumstances.

Cold storage significantly retards the aging process of bottle or cask conditioned beers. (It's irrelevent for pastuerized commercial beers, which aren't really capable of "conditioning.") This could be good in some cases--if, say, your IPA is at it's perfect prime and you want to slow down the conditioning process to keep the hops flavor and aroma as stable as possible.

But usually I think we want our beers to condition, which would best happen at cool, not cold, temps--a dark location where the temps stay at, say, 60 or less, would probably be ideal.

Nitpick away. "As cold as you can get it" was more in the context of putting in the coldest place in your house. Normally, this won't be below 60f in the summer for most people.

OK, got it.

My basement floor goes a little bove 60 in the spring and fall. I think it's a little cooler down there in the summer, actually--just because the AC runs all the effing time in the summer, so between the cold radiating from the furnace and cold air settling to the basement...

Evan! said:
Sorry, Chuck, gotta hit you up on this...your "location" below your avatar says "Vigrinia". Check yo self.

'Vigrinia' is a small town in western Mongolia, what's wrong with that. That's where my parents retired to. ;)

Back