Graff Cider Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyg354

Plant Based Homebrewer
Reaction score
I made a batch of Graff Cider following the recipe down to a T except for a slight change in hopping.

So I let this ferment for 2 weeks and sit in bottle's for a week. I popped a bottle open to see where I was at and we were fully carbonated, nice head, fairly clear. The problem was i thought it to be a bit dry almost vinegary type taste, it was drinkable tho, sort of reminded me of a dry wine with carbonation. I gave my dad a glass and he said it had a sour taste to it. I didn't think so, bud my dad rarely drinks anything besides Bud Light so he isn't to well versed in the world of beverages, my buddy tried some as well and said he thought it was bad. Anyways, my question is, does this cider finish on the dry and tart side? I can't see that I did anything wrong except maybe open up the bottle too soon. If I let this sit for another week or two will this characteristic change?

Without adding any sugars, I usually leave my ciders in the primary for about 3 weeks, backsweeten with a little additional apple juice in the bottling bucket, bottle, then bottle condition at room temp for about 5-6 weeks.

You just have a young cider that is going to take a bit to condition. The vinegar taste will mellow out. It will start tasting good at about week 3, and will peek by about week 6 (if it's not all gone by then!).

Just be patient with it. Since your carbonation is already good, you may want to cold-condition in the fridge, but figure on it taking an extra week or two to condition at the colder temps.

I made a batch of Graff Cider following the recipe down to a T except for a slight change in hopping.

So I let this ferment for 2 weeks and sit in bottle's for a week. I popped a bottle open to see where I was at and we were fully carbonated, nice head, fairly clear. The problem was i thought it to be a bit dry almost vinegary type taste, it was drinkable tho, sort of reminded me of a dry wine with carbonation. I gave my dad a glass and he said it had a sour taste to it. I didn't think so, bud my dad rarely drinks anything besides Bud Light so he isn't to well versed in the world of beverages, my buddy tried some as well and said he thought it was bad. Anyways, my question is, does this cider finish on the dry and tart side? I can't see that I did anything wrong except maybe open up the bottle too soon. If I let this sit for another week or two will this characteristic change?

did you make apple cider or apple graff?

I made cider, but even though a graff has added malt and hops, the aging/conditioning process is exactly the same.

I made a batch of graff as well, and it finished really dry. It didn't taste bad, but it was not really to my taste or what I was expecting. The problem with ciders is that they all finish really dry unless you back sweeten or stop fermentation before all the yeast eat all the sugars in the juice. You may want to check out the cider forums for some info on how to back sweeten and pasteurize once it's at the carbonation level you want.

Back