Original Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrapulencePants

Reaction score
I've done a dozen and a half batches by now and feel I have a pretty good idea of what to do. But I just need to check anyway. :)

I've had problems hitting my FG for quite some time. Couldn't get below 1.020 for some reason. Started using a starter and all is well.

Two of the last three batches (extract) have been high on the OG. .010 to .020 higher than what beersmith calls for. What could be causing this? Or should I just RDWHAHB. I'm guessing the latter.

If they are extract batches it's pretty normal (or should I say common), we have no idea whats in most extract.

Brew on my friends:mug:

Yeah, it's most likely due to extract. Before I moved to partial mash, I never got below 1.020.

Two things come to mind:

1. your extract may not be very good. Always choose the lightest possible extracts and get all your color and grain flavor from specialty grains. I am a big fan of Breiss extra light/Pilsen light DME. If you can't get a highly fermentable extract, replace a pound of extract with cane sugar. This will also help drive down your FG.

2. Your hydrometer could be off. I just bought a new one that was .006 low! I was puzzled why my last batch had missed the OG, but when it finished out at 1004 I checked the hydrometer.

Also let taste be your guide. If the brew is good, don't feel like youbhave to chase numbers.

A good starter (with liquid yeasts) works wonders for bringing the FG down.
As for the higher than forecast OG, there are a few possible reasons.
Beersmith lists the potential of DME at 1.044. Every other source lists it as 1.046. If you adjusted that, you would increase your predicted OG by about 2 - 3 points.
Then in the equipment settings, you have to specify the amount lost to trub and chiller. If this setting is incorrect, you will get a higher gravity than Beersmith predicts.
Of course, it is also possible that your hydrometer is a few points off. Check it in 60 degree water, and if it reads high or low by some amount, subtract or add that amount to each reading.

Hope this helps,

-a.

Back