Our first AG homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nerro

Reaction score
Hi,

Me and one of my roommates made our first AG today. We wanted to make a witbier with ~4.5% ABV and not overly much bitterness. In other words, fizzy yellow beer with a good "nose" and an excuse to make beer with a haziness without having to explain to people that some haze won't kill them :p

Total Volume:
  • 5.3 gallons
Grain bill:
  • 7.2 lbs Pilsener malt (3 EBC)
  • 2.2 lbs wheat flakes
Hops:
  • ¼ oz. Magnum 12% AA - 60 minutes
  • ¼ oz. Saaz 1.8% AA - 10 minutes
Spices and herbs:
  • peel of 1 lemon - 5 minutes
  • peel of 1 orange - 5 minutes
  • ¼ oz. crushed coriander - 5 minutes
Mash:

Mashed in at 122F and heated over 20 minutes to 155F. Kept it there until iodine tests case out neutral.

Used a cheap High-Fermenting yeast.

So what do you guys think?

PS. I was absolutely amazed how well a copper coil chiller works!

Used a cheap High-Fermenting yeast.

So what do you guys think?

PS. I was absolutely amazed how well a copper coil chiller works!

I have no idea what "cheap High-Fermenting yeast" is but yeast is important and I consider Nottingham one of the best dry yeasts produced and is "inexpensive" too. If you can keep the temperature of the ferment in the lower range suggested by the brand of yeast you are using you will produce a very clean tasting beer. For Nottingham I keep the fermentation at 60-62F using a refrigerator but you can place the fermenter in a cooler and use water and ice to hold the temperature constant at the desired temperature which is very important.

Everything else you did looks good. The copper coil is a must have for good beer.

What the correct term... "top fermenting"? You know, the kind of yeast that does it's work at just below room temperature... The fruity esters kind...

Latest posts

Back