2014 HBT Fantasy Baseball League

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay - HBT has been acting a bit weird....

I was originally asking why walks don't accrue TB's like hits do. Is a single really valued as being double a walk? It would seem they accomplish the same thing.

I just took a look through the teams. There are a few with DL-eligible players in their starting lineup. If I don't see those change by the end of the week, I'm assuming the person is no longer interested, and giving the teams away.

Have any of the teams been completely inactive this past week?

Have any of the teams been completely inactive this past week?

Check your PM/email.
Welcome aboard!

Folks, I had to give the Goose Boners away. I haven't heard a peep from Ray about the team. The last activity was when he set his keepers, which may have been at the end of last season. Couple that with his not interacting at all here on this thread, and I figured it was time to give someone else a chance.

Now that I'm in the league, I have a ton of work to get done to rectify the mess that auto-draft has left me.

I'm looking to part ways with some hitters. Any takers?

Welcome to the league, Nick. That is a proper mess that you inherited.

I am always up for trading so feel free to send offers my way.

Dave

Welcome to the league, Nick. That is a proper mess that you inherited.

I am always up for trading so feel free to send offers my way.

Dave

Thanks Dave. Good to know about trades. I have a ton of guys that do all the same things (Ortiz, Lind, Adams, Butler). If any of those guys spark interest, let me know.

I guess it would somewhat depend on what you are looking for in return.

I value flexibility highly and after Joe Mauer gets 5 more games at 1B I will have Goldy, Craig and Mauer all eligible at 1B. All of the guys you mentioned are either DH only or 1B.

However I have a level of interest in Papi, as a Sox fan, so let me know what you would want in return there.

Dave

Nick, was just looking at your roster, and I think you have an open bench spot that you can fill with a FA.

I guess it would somewhat depend on what you are looking for in return.

I value flexibility highly and after Joe Mauer gets 5 more games at 1B I will have Goldy, Craig and Mauer all eligible at 1B. All of the guys you mentioned are either DH only or 1B.

However I have a level of interest in Papi, as a Sox fan, so let me know what you would want in return there.

Dave

I'm ok with working a deal for Big Papi. I'm a Braves fan and I have an eye for two (former and current) players.

I'm ok with working a deal for Big Papi. I'm a Braves fan and I have an eye for two (former and current) players.

I think you canceled the trade offer before I replied (which is fine). Not really looking to move Prado right now. He was a big target for me before the draft and I really love his versatility.

Dave

I think you canceled the trade offer before I replied (which is fine). Not really looking to move Prado right now. He was a big target for me before the draft and I really love his versatility.

Dave

Ok, no problem. Thanks for listening.

Ok, no problem. Thanks for listening.

Not a problem.

It is hard to make trades after just a week, too. I know that I want a larger sample size before making significant changes to my team. I imagine that a lot of the guys are going to feel the same way.

With that said, I am always willing to listen and consider.

Injuries are already taking a toll. I've got three guys on the DL with a couple more likely to join them. I'm glad I drafted 3 3B's because I'm on my last one! Now Matt Moore may need Tommy John surgery....It's only April Fantasy Baseball gods come on!!

Out of DL spots now that Hamilton's done for the next 6 - 8 weeks...:(

I'm full too. Wilson Ramos potentially back in a month. Jose Reyes back who knows when. Harvey out for the year (yeah, I know I'll likely have to drop him).

I'm full too. Wilson Ramos potentially back in a month. Jose Reyes back who knows when. Harvey out for the year (yeah, I know I'll likely have to drop him).

I am having a different difficulty. Both Tulo and Coco (lol) are day to day and not playing and not going on the DL, so I can't pick anyone up while they are hurting.

Quiet thread so far this year.

Johnny is KILLING it and is about to get Reyes back. Almost doesn't seem fair.

My Minor League sleeper, George Springer, is called up today. Hoping for big things from him.

How is everyone else's spring going?

Dave

I'm maxed out on DL spots, scouring the waiver wire to find suitable replacements seemingly daily, and my team's #1 energy drink consumer is out for the next month but otherwise I'm having a blast! :D

I'm pleased that players that I traded for last year like Stanton are finally producing and my draft picks seem to holding up alright. My pitching staff is not so great but I feel like my team is much more competitive this season than last year.

Quiet thread so far this year.

Johnny is KILLING it and is about to get Reyes back. Almost doesn't seem fair.

My Minor League sleeper, George Springer, is called up today. Hoping for big things from him.

Dave

Luck. All luck over here. I'm hoping that Jose Abreu can keep this up all year. Doubtful, given his, umm, stature.

Just going as of now. Still trying to fix the squad.

In our matchup, I noticed that you had some open slots 1-2 days. How's everything going?

I'm maxed out on DL spots, scouring the waiver wire to find suitable replacements seemingly daily, and my team's #1 energy drink consumer is out for the next month but otherwise I'm having a blast! :D

I'm pleased that players that I traded for last year like Stanton are finally producing and my draft picks seem to holding up alright. My pitching staff is not so great but I feel like my team is much more competitive this season than last year.

I'm excited about this season. Should be a fun time. A lot of new talent out there makes it for a lot of fun!

Noticed in our match up that he has a 1B, 3B, and OF slot open with three eligible players on the bench. Bench doesn't earn you points!

Yeah, it won't earn me points, but it won't take any away either. I have such fringe players that I would rather not start due to our 64 game cap.

I also have guys who K a ton, and don't play the field.

Yeah, it won't earn me points, but it won't take any away either. I have such fringe players that I would rather not start due to our 64 game cap.

I also have guys who K a ton, and don't play the field.

If im not mistaken, and for those that have been here longer than me, please correct me if im wrong, i found it very difficult to exceed the game limit. I never did it last year. That was playing every available player every day. Maybe the off days just happened to work out, but i never hit the mark. Now benching players to make sure you dont get negative points is a different story.

I only exceeded it one time last season, and that was with the pitching game limits. I haven't seen anyone exceed the bating game limits before.

Benching players to avoid negative points is an interesting strategy, but you're going to have a hard time putting up points to win if you're limiting yourself to X number of players while the other team is bringing the max.

Yes, I think I've reached the max GS for pitchers, but never for batters. I believe the rule is that if you reach the max GS for either pitchers or batters on, say, Saturday, the cap is in effect AFTER that day. Pretty sure most if not all of us reach the cap on Sunday, and it doesn't effect us.

To confirm what Johnny is saying, the limits are for Saturday in reality. As long as you have no more than 63/64 games started at the END of Saturday then you are fine for Sunday. Same with starting pitching, as long as you have 11/12 at the END of Saturday you are good to go. Your theoretical maximums are 74/64 games started on offense (assuming no double headers on Sunday) and 16 starts from pitchers.

Also I would highly suggest filling your line up to maximum starts on every given day. You may have negative point here and there, rarely more than -1 or -2, but you are risking giving points up as a positive score is a greater probability.

The only time I don't start a batter intentionally is if he has abysmal numbers against a particular pitcher, with a lot of strike outs specifically.

Hope that this is helpful,
Dave

To confirm what Johnny is saying, the limits are for Saturday in reality. As long as you have no more than 63/64 games started at the END of Saturday then you are fine for Sunday. Same with starting pitching, as long as you have 11/12 at the END of Saturday you are good to go. Your theoretical maximums are 74/64 games started on offense (assuming no double headers on Sunday) and 16 starts from pitchers.

Also I would highly suggest filling your line up to maximum starts on every given day. You may have negative point here and there, rarely more than -1 or -2, but you are risking giving points up as a positive score is a greater probability.

The only time I don't start a batter intentionally is if he has abysmal numbers against a particular pitcher, with a lot of strike outs specifically.

Hope that this is helpful,
Dave

That helped immensely. I was under the impression that it was a hard cap so to speak, and I didn't want to burn games early in the week unnecessarily.

Yes, I think I've reached the max GS for pitchers, but never for batters. I believe the rule is that if you reach the max GS for either pitchers or batters on, say, Saturday, the cap is in effect AFTER that day. Pretty sure most if not all of us reach the cap on Sunday, and it doesn't effect us.

So much for that.

I reached the max GS for hitters this past Saturday apparently, and none of my hitters points counted on Sunday. Weird. That has never happened to me before, and I don't recall doing anything different this past week.

So much for that.

I reached the max GS for hitters this past Saturday apparently, and none of my hitters points counted on Sunday. Weird. That has never happened to me before, and I don't recall doing anything different this past week.

Is that what it is? None of my batter accumulated points either. I did nothing different.

Hmmm. Wonder if there was a rule change somewhere that I didn't notice. Or, were there some double headers this week?

Hmmm. Wonder if there was a rule change somewhere that I didn't notice. Or, were there some double headers this week?

I caught a similar problem on Friday morning. I don't think there were double headers, just more games then normal this week. I had to leave a position spot open on Fri and Sat to make sure I received points Sun.

Edit: Not that it mattered. My team blew a Sunday lead like they were the Cubs celebrating 100 years of Wrigley.

I caught a similar problem on Friday morning. I don't think there were double headers, just more games then normal this week. I had to leave a position spot open on Fri and Sat to make sure I received points Sun.

Edit: Not that it mattered. My team blew a Sunday lead like they were the Cubs celebrating 100 years of Wrigley.

Hahaha.

I was shocked that I pulled out the win against you. Was sure you were going to take the lead.

Back