Priming in conical fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddman

Reaction score
Just order my first 14.5 gallon stainless steel conical fermenter. I was wondering if anyone has experience using the conical to prime their brew before bottling? After dumping your trub and yeast, I can't think of anything that would prevent one from adding your priming sugars right into the fermenter and bottling from there. Seems like one less chance of contamination and oxidation to me. Am I missing something here? Thanks.

I think it would be difficult to get a good consistent mix just by dumping your priming sugar mix into the conical. I would still rack on top of your priming mixture in a bottling bucket and bottle from there.

The guy who I brew with swears by carbonation tabs. A little more expensive than just priming sugar, but in your case, you could save alot of trouble by just dropping carb tabs into each bottle and bottling straight from the conical.

The real issue I see is....you had room for a 14.5 gallon conical fermenter, but not a kegging setup? :drunk:

Oh yeah, not to mention the bottled beer doesn't come close in taste. I honestly would not brew if I had to bottle it. I brew about 20 gallons every 6 weeks (10 gallons each batch) and that's enough work between the mashing, sparging, cleaning, kegging, etc...

I think it would be difficult to get a good consistent mix just by dumping your priming sugar mix into the conical. I would still rack on top of your priming mixture in a bottling bucket and bottle from there.

The guy who I brew with swears by carbonation tabs. A little more expensive than just priming sugar, but in your case, you could save alot of trouble by just dropping carb tabs into each bottle and bottling straight from the conical.

The real issue I see is....you had room for a 14.5 gallon conical fermenter, but not a kegging setup? :drunk:

I haven't tried the carb tabs, yet. Worth exploring that option. I'm just trying to keep it REAL right now. I really want to start casking my brew. It's a hobby for me and I don't really mind the bottling, although I am going to start using the 22 oz. bottles. Really would like to get a beer engine for casking. Thanks for your comments.

All I use are carb drops when I bottle. I do 5 gallon batches and bottle usually a six pack for aging. When I do bottle the drips work every time.

So far, I primed directly in my conical fermenter (FastFerment) and I have to say it's both great and not perfect.
It's great because that's one less risk of oxidation and less work than dropping tabs in every bottle, plus you can use high quality organic honey or maple syrup.
But if you want an homogeneous mix, it takes some decent stirring, which increases the risk of oxidation/contamination.

What I do is that I dissolve honey in 2 cups (500ml) of water (for 20L of beer) in a Pyrex measuring cup and then gently pour the mix (without dropping it from too high) while gently stirring the beer back and forth to avoid creating a whirlpool that could drive the sugar straight down to the bottom.

So far, I didn't have problems with uneven bottles, some too carbonated, some not enough; just stir well enough and you'll be fine.

Latest posts

Back