3rd all grain brew day... still learning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
Well, I discovered the absolute limit of grains my mash tun can do...30lbs. Brewed 10 gallons of an IPA today and man, the mash tun was up to the rim.

Still figuring out my system Since I don't have a thermometer to check the temp coming out of my cfc, I usually just recirculate it back into the BK. Then I realized today, the kettle is still hot from the boil. Wort going in was at 70 degrees, but the BK still read 90.

I need to get some 6.5 gallon carboys. Mine are 5 gallons and I filled them up, but then couldn't fit all my starter into them (didn't have time to crash cool it) and decant. So I had pour some off.

I'm also struggling with the mashout. I'm going Brutus and since I don't have a RIMS I just heat the strike water to 185 and recirculate. Seems like the mash tun temp is always too low, then when I fire up the BK during recirculation it can go too high. Not so easy to figure out.

Oh, well. No major disasters. I think it's going to be good as I hit all my temps. I did figure out that I can really aerate my wort if I shake it as I pump from the cfc into it.

Learn something new each time. Cheers guys.:mug:

It gets easier each time you brew. Just remember to keep it simple and learn the basics of your system before you start adding more complex pieces to your brewery. I know that I am a gadget freak, but sometimes simple is better. I also helps to keep accurate logs of things like strike temp vs. amount of water and grain. This will help you hit your infusion temps. I can usually get mine within a degree or two just by best guess. Well, I don't know if any of this helps you but good luck with your brews and most of all enjoy.

What is the maximum capacity of your mash tun? I ask this for personal reasons.....I plan to do my biggest mash ever tomorrow, which will involve around 22 pounds of fermentables.

I believe mine is 50 quarts. I did 29.5 lbs at 1.25qts/lb. Barely fit. I mean it fit, but some careful stirring was involved and slight spillage.

There's a mash tun calculator on here somewhere. It's spot on.

Thanks.....I'll look that up. My MLT (The duty Rubbermaid 10 gal. "Big Orange" cooler conversion) is going to be pretty full, based on your figures. If you deduct 1/4 of the grain and 1/4 of the volume, that means at 1.25 qt. / lb, I've got 22 pounds going into 37.5 quarts.....very little to play with, and I'd like to use whatever space is left too loosen up that mash a bit.....not the way I'd like to play it, but with this Founders Breakfast Stout recipe, I've no alternative.

"Green Bay Rackers" calculator for mash tun size says that at 1.25 qt. / lb, my 22 pound mash is going to take up 8.64 gallons, which is a bit more leeway than I had calculated. When I light this candle, I'll probably end up posting a thread about it. Got two other batches to do first....

Yeah, that's not too bad. Mine calculated to be 11.68 of my 12 gallon cooler, but I'll tell ya, that's about all it can do without the water level being at the tippy, tippy top. And you're also assuming your table is perfectly level. One side was a bit higher in mine which made it even more adventurous.

Sounds like you're a go, though. Sounds like a great stout to me!

Back