nutrients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voiron

Reaction score
i making a gluten free batch for a celiac friend. does gluten free beer require any type of yeast nutrients to ferment properly? i am using a strong belgian yeast for high gravity.

thanks.

i making a gluten free batch for a celiac friend. does gluten free beer require any type of yeast nutrients to ferment properly? i am using a strong belgian yeast for high gravity.

thanks.

I haven't found that nutrients are necessary. I've used it in some batches and forgotten it in others and I haven't had any fermenation issues. Add them if you feel like it though.

thanks.

The more sorghum you use, the less necessary it is. Brown rice extract also helps just a little.

At 50% or greater chances are good you won't need it at all.

I'm in the same camp as lcasanova. I usually try to use it, but I've sometimes forgotten it, and I don't think it's been a detriment to me when I forgot.

If you were doing a batch out of all honey and candy sugars though, you might want to put a little in. Just make sure you get the type that doesn't have a lot of dead yeast hulls, as those were possibly grown on a glutenous medium.

Back