The hopefully not obnoxious wood fired brick oven build thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A mod should change this thread's title to "Its official starting to build my own pizza oven"

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew because it impresses people

Unlike the gubbamint I have to be concerned with how to pay for my projects as I go.

hmmmm, if only there was a workaround...

wikipedia said:
Lines of credit are often extended by banks, financial institutions and other licensed consumer lenders to creditworthy customers (though certain special-purpose lines of credit may not have creditworthiness requirements) to address liquidity problems; such a line of credit is often called a personal line of credit.

There is fresh homemade pizza on the line. It's worth the interest fees.

Guys, guys... take it easy on Paul. This isn't some rinky dink construction job that can be banged out in two days. Hell, most PROFESSIONS take almost THREE days. And Paul's not even a pro. I mean... for Christ's sake... he is as much of a Rookie as you can get.... and expecting Paul to just bang out a pizza oven lickitty split is like asking someone to paint the Sistine Chapel with a box of crayons. You can only work with what you've got.

Exactly Brian!!!

Why, you yourself are an excellent example of exactly what you're talking about. It took you, Matt and FDub a full year to get the Bog open to pour your first pint. Imagine that! A couple guys decide they're going to pool their vast resources and cobble together a 20 gallon system and "go pro" and it takes a freakin' YEAR to get up to speed on something they already do once a week.

By the way, how is The Bog Room coming? I was pretty thirsty when I drove by there the other day. I stopped, hoping TBR was open and I could grab a pint or two of Stinger and maybe a growler for the road but alas...How long has it been since the three of you busted through the wall into The Happy Ending Massage Parlor and started to scrape the sticky stuff off the walls to expand your empire anyways? Sure seems like its been a while. And there are three of you guys to do the work! Man oh man those walls must have been gross. But it sure is gonna be great when its done. Yes sirree! Great!

Whoa whoa WHOA!!! We aren't making this an obnoxious thread remember?

But.... since you asked, the tap room is coming along really well. We're pretty psyched. We picked up our new pourer's license the other day so that's all squared away. The electrician was in last night trying to finish up but looks like he'll be done maybe this Saturday. Space looks great though. We will be pouring at the American Craft Beer Fest this weekend (debuting a few new styles too! yayyyyy!!) so we'll swing back into the brewery late Saturday night and hopefully all of the light fixtures will be up... it'll be cool to see it all.

After that it is just inspections and we'll be open.

Enough of my brewery and new tap room. That's boring stuff. This is a brewing website damn it!! Let's get back to your cool pizza oven build!!!

Whatta you thinkin? Late 2018 as a target completion date?

I can't wait.

I'll take a nice thin crust... maybe some fresh basil and proscuitto. Mmmmm. Sounds tasty !!

Have you considered just going with a Forno Bravo kit for the actual oven? That is a large base, how big is the oven going to be?

Picked up bricks this morning. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401376944.888577.jpg

That's a lot of weight in the bed if my truck.

So you guys picked a bad day to bust my cajones about my lack of progress. Today was my first day off in two weeks and I got a ton done.

First a trip to Woburn to pick up bricks.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401397687.226612.jpg

Then I set up and built forms to expand the insulating layer. I wasn't happy with my first attempt, instead of busting up the older layer I decided to add to it.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401397907.753109.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1401397933.847409.jpg

I had some 1x10's that I ripped down to 4 1/4 inch width ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401398391.105043.jpg then cut into lengths to make an octagon.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401398121.378855.jpg

I figure by making the mix pretty loose it will fill the voids well enough. The vermiculite I got this time was a much finer grade and I used a higher ratio of Portland cement so that it would be stickier.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401398282.385831.jpg

I made sure everything was good and wet before I started dumping the mix onto the slab so it didn't steal moisture and dry out prematurely.

Whoa whoa WHOA!!! We aren't making this an obnoxious thread remember?

But.... since you asked, the tap room is coming along really well. We're pretty psyched. We picked up our new pourer's license the other day so that's all squared away. The electrician was in last night trying to finish up but looks like he'll be done maybe this Saturday. Space looks great though. We will be pouring at the American Craft Beer Fest this weekend (debuting a few new styles too! yayyyyy!!) so we'll swing back into the brewery late Saturday night and hopefully all of the light fixtures will be up... it'll be cool to see it all.

After that it is just inspections and we'll be open.

Enough of my brewery and new tap room. That's boring stuff. This is a brewing website damn it!! Let's get back to your cool pizza oven build!!!

Whatta you thinkin? Late 2018 as a target completion date?

I can't wait.

I'll take a nice thin crust... maybe some fresh basil and proscuitto. Mmmmm. Sounds tasty !!

the prick is strong in you.

Back